Red

caspertguk

Well it finally happened, I gave in to the missus and the kids and got us a puppy. English Springer Spaniel called RED. Tried as hard as i could to get some photo's but its hard to get her to sit still unless she is asleep!

Anyone with any good tips/tricks for training her i would be grateful, Gonna search the site now!!!

( 9 Weeks old and counting)

post-9342-1199393768.jpg

post-9342-1199393807.jpg

post-9342-1199393829.jpg

post-9342-1199393844.jpg

Guest The Outlaw

A cracking little dog you have there mate.

Training a springer is quite hard work but very rewarding when you are over the worst of it.

It wont happen over night but if he is from gundog stock he will have some of it built in.

Good luck and keep us updated on his progress.

Tony

A cracking little dog you have there mate.

Training a springer is quite hard work but very rewarding when you are over the worst of it.

It wont happen over night but if he is from gundog stock he will have some of it built in.

Good luck and keep us updated on his progress.

Tony

I bought her from a lovely farmer who works the parents so i hope that she will make a good gundog. Only time will tell though!!

Well it finally happened, I gave in to the missus and the kids and got us a puppy. English Springer Spaniel called RED. Tried as hard as i could to get some photo's but its hard to get her to sit still unless she is asleep!

Anyone with any good tips/tricks for training her i would be grateful, Gonna search the site now!!!

( 9 Weeks old and counting)

post-9342-1199393768.jpg

post-9342-1199393807.jpg

post-9342-1199393829.jpg

post-9342-1199393844.jpg

Casper I've just taken the plunge as well. He's a 5 week old springer with superb lines so I'm hoping he'll be OK. Can't wait to pick him up on the 29th Jan!

Got to agree it aint easy training a Springer but they are great to watch working in the field...

Im waiting for another myself at present, cant wait......

Looks like he got his seat sorted then :lol:

Yeah she seems to have first pick of seats on the sofa's, depending on where we are sat she will come cuddle up on/next to one of us. :good:

Tried as hard as i could to get some photo's but its hard to get her to sit still unless she is asleep!

Welcome to a world of hyper activity :good: I thought about druggin mine to get it to sit still :lol: When it does sit still it just shakes in anticipation of its next movement :)

Guest The Outlaw
Tried as hard as i could to get some photo's but its hard to get her to sit still unless she is asleep!

Welcome to a world of hyper activity :good: I thought about druggin mine to get it to sit still :lol: When it does sit still it just shakes in anticipation of its next movement :)

You probably know this but Springers go even nuttier if you feed them high protien food when they are'nt working.

Jimmy is on 15% at the moment, but when he is going to work I feed him 25% the day before and on the day he

works/Trains hard.

Wont apply to pups though

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Well red has had all her jabs now and has been out and about for the first few times. Took her to the woods for the first time today and let her off the lead!!! To my supprise she didn't bolt off into the woods, she just runs around me and out to about 10 metres and back again, also when off the lead in fields etc she will do the same unless i am throwing something for her to bring back.

Is this normal for a puppy? i like the fact that she is loyal and doesn't run off at all and it will help when i take her beating in later life. Will she grow out of this or do you think she will stay the same?:lol:

Thanks

Casper.

Well red has had all her jabs now and has been out and about for the first few times. Took her to the woods for the first time today and let her off the lead!!! To my supprise she didn't bolt off into the woods, she just runs around me and out to about 10 metres and back again, also when off the lead in fields etc she will do the same unless i am throwing something for her to bring back.

Is this normal for a puppy? i like the fact that she is loyal and doesn't run off at all and it will help when i take her beating in later life. Will she grow out of this or do you think she will stay the same?:devil:

Thanks

Casper.

Try to keep her close and eager to return to you it will pay dividends later when you start whistle training, if you havnt got it already I can rec Joe Irvine or Peter Moxon,s books on springers. You wont go far wrong following their advice.

Best of luck with the training.

:lol: D2D

I`v trained a few springers and found pick a bitch and the runt of the litter worked best for me

and my top tip to you is when you are training her I use rubber balls first and throw one into

cover and let her retrieve it and when she runs on a bit I throw another ball back into the same

cover and then call her back to retrieve that one what this does is it puts it in her head that you

know more than her and this will have a good effect when you see something come down in

cover and she has`nt and when directing her to that position it will be in her head that you know

something she doesent. hope you can follow that `phew` :blush:

Is this normal for a puppy? i like the fact that she is loyal and doesn't run off at all and it will help when i take her beating in later life. Will she grow out of this or do you think she will stay the same? ???

Thanks

Casper.

:):lol::lol: No it's not normal so enjoy it while you can.

Check out NTTF's pinned training threads :blush:

LB

A second vote here for NTTF's traing sheets.

I know what you mean about takign photos and ESS's being still. Ted (my ESS) is never still and I hate disturbing his sleep (mainly because I need it too!). Good luck though, it's really worth all the pooh, chewing and farts.