Harris 9-13" or 12-25"?

Vegeta

Hey folks I am looking for opinions on what height bipod to get for lamping foxes with.

Personally I think the 12-25 would suit me better as sometimes I just need a stable sitting shot.

So what do you guys prefer for your lamping??

Apologies if this question is asked a lot but i did a search and no threads with the exact title came up.

Also to add should I go swivel or non swivel?

In what plane (sp?) do these bipods swivel as I find it hard to picture? Is it a cant left and right to over come un-even terrain.

if so does this take away from the stability?

I use a 9 to 13 swizel and if grass is too tall I then use shooting sticks.

9 - 13 is nice an comfy in most situations.

Swivel is from side to side to allow for some uneveness in the ground.

Jerry

I use a 6-9" swivel. The legs do not have notches. I also have a fixed 9-13" but I prefer the 6-9". The swivel head... well, it's a tilt to the left or right head really. There's a knurled nut on the back of it which you can tighten up to make it quite stiff so it won't be wobbling all over the shop, infact it's very good. I can most times find a raised little rock to shoot off anyway since the ground here is soooooo uneven. As a last resort I have taken off my backpack and plonked the rifle ontop of that, done that a few times actually.

Jerry

Cheers Jerry

Do you find that the ability to move from side to side makes it less stable than a fixed harris bipod?

G

9"- 13" or even longer if your barrel will take it and it wont protrude beyond the end, Harris Swivel, the swivel is the one to go for and the slightly longer one will allow for some sitting shots over long grass.

If you buy cheaper or fixed you will regret it imo. If a Harris swivel appears on here its usually snapped up whereas the fixed models are not so popular which says it all really.

:blush: D2D

Jerry

Cheers Jerry

Do you find that the ability to move from side to side makes it less stable than a fixed harris bipod?

G

no the swivel function is reasonably stiff so theres no danger of it wobbling around. Too tilt your rifle would take a good consious effort and shakey hands shouldn't really budge it.

I use a 6-9" swivel. The legs do not have notches. I also have a fixed 9-13" but I prefer the 6-9". The swivel head... well, it's a tilt to the left or right head really. There's a knurled nut on the back of it which you can tighten up to make it quite stiff so it won't be wobbling all over the shop, infact it's very good. I can most times find a raised little rock to shoot off anyway since the ground here is soooooo uneven. As a last resort I have taken off my backpack and plonked the rifle ontop of that, done that a few times actually.

Thanks John cool looks like the swivel is an option then

My rifle weighs a ton already, mod and a huge scope don't help of course so I don't want to carry sticks for sitting shots and I think the 12" will be low enough for prone shots. So it will satisfy both needs. Just looking for some first hand experience. Its all well and good because it makes sense in theory but if someone here has used one and they are awful then I may just get a lower biopd and carry the sticks and make do

i should add that i've got the 12-25 and its brill for taking sitting/kneeling shots or shooting off banks etc, however the 12" from prone is a little high (not impossible) but not the most comfortable. I prefer the option of the extra height as the fields i shoot are often long grass.

i should add that i've got the 12-25 and its brill for taking sitting/kneeling shots or shooting off banks etc, however the 12" from prone is a little high (not impossible) but not the most comfortable. I prefer the option of the extra height as the fields i shoot are often long grass.

Thanks again for all the feed back lads.

I am a little worried about 12" being a little high, I think I will put the rifle 12" off the ground tonight at home and see can i manage it.

as always top notch lads, thanks again

Poacher is right, 12" for a prone shot is too high, and uncomfortable, unless you're shooting downhill so the ground is slanting away from you. Whatever you get make sure it's swivel though, I've bought twice (fixed, then swivel) and I know plenty of other lads who have done so as well.

John I agree that 12" is too high for a prone shot, I have the shorter one and also a 12" to 29" which is invaluable in the longer stuff taking a comfy sitting shot (just mind your thumb when 29" recoils, ouch :good:) just measured it and it sprang back on my thumb, the extra section increased the blow!

I mostly use the shorter one out of habit as the longer goes beyond the barrel and touches the mod.

Whichever one he goes for the general advice is SWIVEL.

:blush: D2D

Swivel is clearly the way to go anyway. If nothing else this thread was worth it for that

will do a bit of an experiment with 12" (easy now) and see how it works out. My gut feeling is too high. Could always make my lamper carry the sticks :blush:

The shorter the bypod the more stable it will be and therefore you will be more accurate so always use the lowest setting you can get away with.

as for swivel or not, the best is swivel not only because of uneaven ground but it also allows you to follow the quarry a little before you have to resite the rifle. a small word of caution though, try not to put too much pressure on the forend twisting on the bypod as it may cause a closefitting floating barrel to touch the front of the stock, or will change the pressure on the barrel on a non floated barrel and change the harmonics of the barrel which will change the point of impact, sometimes dramatically.

Also some rifles do not have a sufficiently strong enough forend if the bypod is mounted on the front sling swivel, some you will have to buy and fit a second front stud a couple of inches furthur back to stop what i mentioned above from happening. A friend had this happen on a Steyer 270 pro hunter, i think, about five years back, took him ages to work out why his groups were all over the place averaging about 4 to 6 inchs

Ian

I have bothe the 9-13 and the 13-27 as well as sticks that I always take with me when stalking. The 9-13 only gets used on the range. when I did use it it was always at full extention. I use the 13-27 in the sitting position to get over most tall grass and resort to the sticks if required to get over a hedge or fence or similar. I find the bipod significantly more accurate than the sticks so use the sticks only as a fall back.

Dave