Dropped my HW77K can anyone help?

Barrelman

As some of you may well have read on I said Happy New Year to my HW77K by dropping it on New Years Day. The sling attachment on the barrel slipped of the rifle dropped, pivoting where the sling attaches to the stock. The foresight whacked on to some concrete badly marking it and it seems bending the barrel!.

When I tried to shoot it the zero was 12"down. I didnt have sufficent scope adjustment to bring it back to zero. I have now had time to re-seat the scope with a view to resetting the whole rifle.

Now the worst news. Despite my 4-12 x 50 HAWKE MAP PRO SCOPE having a total of 240 sclicks on each turret I still cant set the scope height high enough to zero.When set as high as possible the nearest I can get is 3/4 " below zero.

The rifle slill puts pellet on pellet but is imposible to zero. Have any of you any suggestions. Its been suggested that Duncans Gunsmiths in Hull could help. However I really am on a budget, what would they do that I can't ( I realise they are no doubt highly skilled gunsmiths but will they just use brute force). I'm getting sorely tempted to drop it on the underleaver side with a similar force and see if that works!!! What would a gunsmith do if anything? Is it worth me having a go in my well equiped garage, or will I do more damage? How much is a gunsmith likely to charge?

This is so annoying as its litterally only 3/4" short on scope adjustment to to make it the same pellet on pellet gun it has always been.

Any help would be greatly received. So sympathy for a fellow airgunner would help a little too

HW77K

Hawke 4-16 x 50 MAP-PRO

Right mate,

It seems you've well and truly ******** it up.

Couldn't quite understand your description but if it's still hitting the same spot on the target it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

After all you have bought one of the hardiest air rifles ever made! :good:

Your local gun shop should be able to fix it for you no probs.

I'd actually question the scope first though. Did the scope take a fair whack when dropped? If not then

it may need a whack back in the other direction, if you wish to do this yourself i recommend using a padded vice and doing it a little at a time rather than trying to drop it again. :o

Forgot to mention, a good material for a shim is a piece of plastic cut from a fabric conditioner bottle or similar.

Just sits under the tube in the lower half of the scope mount.

Shim the front ring for more downward adjustment or the back ring for more upward adjustment.

We use all the best & most expensive materials for this handy hint. LOL

Any help would be greatly received. So sympathy for a fellow airgunner would help a little too

HW77K

Hawke 4-16 x 50 MAP-PRO

Try the scope on another rifle.

If the scope won't zero on another rifle the it is the scope.

If you prove the scope is fine then it must be the gun.

Cheers taz.

Edited by taz24

You have to be wary of slings on guns- I have had two come off now in my time resulting in guns damaged. Often the sling eyelets unscrew themselves from the stock resulting in crash bang and damage.

In future glue in the eyelet studs so they cannot come out.

I should not think your gun will be hard to repair.

I have spent years repairing/tuning air rifles, prior to retiring, but still do a bit for mates, if you want to pay the postage to and from me I will repair it Free! just send it minus the stock and scope and I will send it back the same day! I still have a lathe and other workshop equipment to do the job. Pm me if you want it done, :rolleyes:<_<

Edited by berettaman1

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I have now sorted the gun. I used two shims on th rear of the scope made from two thicknesess of a thin drinks bottle. That has sorted the problem for me. It now zeros at 30yards as normal. In answer to soem of your quesries. The only part of the rifle to hit anything was the foresight. However the shudder it sent the length of the barrel was huge. I am going to test teh scope on a friends rifle just to check if it is the scope of the barrel. The barrel doesnt look anything other than normal, but then I presume it wouldn'' t to the naked eye. Thanks again to everyone.

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I have now sorted the gun. I used two shims on th rear of the scope made from two thicknesess of a thin drinks bottle. That has sorted the problem for me. It now zeros at 30yards as normal. In answer to soem of your quesries. The only part of the rifle to hit anything was the foresight. However the shudder it sent the length of the barrel was huge. I am going to test teh scope on a friends rifle just to check if it is the scope of the barrel. The barrel doesnt look anything other than normal, but then I presume it wouldn'' t to the naked eye. Thanks again to everyone.

if you look down the barrel where the pellet goes if its egg shapped you no the barrels bent