20 gauge cartridges

vole

I am thinking about getting a 20 bore.Mostly for rabbit ,pigeon crow etc.Is there a cartridge I could keep in my belt in case a fox crosses my path? I dont expect too much of a 20 but would like to be prepared.I use BB in my 12g.It would be 2 3/4 chamber gun. Thanks.

Edited by vole21

I either use gamebore 6 shot 28gram or hull 6shot 30gram i have never shot a fox with my 20 and do not think i would unless one bolted right at my feet and was no more than say 12 yards. A lot of people think that a twenty is less powerfull than a 12 but not strictly true the shot pattern stays tighter thats all so you have to be more accurate.

Hi,

As a cartridge kept in the belt for fox incase one crosses my path I have RC Semimagnum 3's 2 3/4'' I have also removed the 3's from one cartridge and replaced it with 32g of BB's so if I have time to change that will go in the most choked barrel then 3's in the more open barrel. Expect a bit of kick in a light gun though!

Hope this helps.

FM :rolleyes:

It sure does FM.That would be just the job ta.Maybe should have said I,m after a 20 as that seems the only Hushpowered shottie around now to replace the Baikal 12g one I need to change as i ve bust my elbow.The shorter lighter Pedretti was ideal but I had to get rid of it.Am told the 20 is much quieter. Will be using subsonics but would like something in reserve for when I get lucky. Thanks.

Ps Who makes the Rc semimagnum? Not heard of that maker.

Edited by vole21

Vole, RC is the cartridge manufacturer: http://www.rc-cartridges.com/

Although I'm a 20-bore fanatic, I rarely shoot foxes with my twenties. I do carry some homeload 32g #1s for the purpose though. I much prefer to shoot foxes with a 12-bore (usually with 42g #1s) or a centrefire rifle.

To be honest you're better off with a bog-standard O/U that fits you well and can be used in any shooting situation, than mucking about with a Hushpower.

Edited by Baldrick

at the range you want to be shooting foxes at with a 20 I'd say shot size isn't incredibly important, If you get a chance to change then 3's work well otherwise at sub 20 yards your normal load of 6's will do the job. Its not a foxing gun but if one happens to walk into you then it will do the job fine.