Matt Hayes Fishing...

Rookie

Rite, im currently watching Matt Hayes and Mick Brown Fishing for carp on the Monument lakes...

Iv noticed this before and never understood it....

When ever Matt catches a carp, he always bangs on about a 'curtain' of skin inside the fishes mouth, just behind the top lip. He claims that having this 'curtain' of skin, means the fish has not been caught before. But... he put's the fish back, with the 'curtain' of skin still intact?? <_< Therefore, someone else will catch the fish and asume it's not been caught before :rolleyes:

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks..

Rite, im currently watching Matt Hayes and Mick Brown Fishing for carp on the Monument lakes...

When ever Matt catches a carp, he always bangs on about a 'curtain' of skin inside the fishes mouth, just behind the top lip. He claims that having this 'curtain' of skin, means the fish has not been caught before. But... he put's the fish back, with the 'curtain' of skin still intact?? <_< Therefore, someone else will catch the fish and asume it's not been caught before :rolleyes:

Thanks..

Yeah i've been carp fishing for 20 years now, and that fact from matt is rubbish the curtain only gets affected if the hook catches in the curtain itself. I'm lucky to have access to a private lake and i know the majority of the fish and have caught them several times, and alot of them still have curtains in their mouths. Matt Hayes is a brilliant presentor but he don't know everything. LOL

When ever Matt catches a carp, he always bangs on about a 'curtain' of skin inside the fishes mouth, just behind the top lip. He claims that having this 'curtain' of skin, means the fish has not been caught before. But... he put's the fish back, with the 'curtain' of skin still intact?? :good: Therefore, someone else will catch the fish and asume it's not been caught before :)

Thanks..

Yeah i've been carp fishing for 20 years now, and that fact from matt is rubbish the curtain only gets affected if the hook catches in the curtain itself. I'm lucky to have access to a private lake and i know the majority of the fish and have caught them several times, and alot of them still have curtains in their mouths. Matt Hayes is a brilliant presentor but he don't know everything. LOL

not the same with a mackerel

Guest The Outlaw

I only watch him for hints and tips, He fishes the Ouze near me and reckons a 5lb chubb is big, my pb is 7lb 2 now and my 11 year old daughters first was 5lb 3.

Another one with all the gear and no idea is a bit harsh but the more I watch him the more he bugs me.

I am new to carp fishing but my pb is 27lb 12 "Matilda" out of the Quainton lake near Aylesbury on maggots, never knew about the Hymen in a fishes mouth.

Seen them elsewhere though many years ago :)

Tony

I only watch him for hints and tips, He fishes the Ouze near me and reckons a 5lb chubb is big, my pb is 7lb 2 now and my 11 year old daughters first was 5lb 3.

Another one with all the gear and no idea is a bit harsh but the more I watch him the more he bugs me.

I am new to carp fishing but my pb is 27lb 12 "Matilda" out of the Quainton lake near Aylesbury on maggots, never knew about the Hymen in a fishes mouth.

Tony

A 7lb 2 chub is huge and a five is a big fish also, so well done to you and your daughter wish i was that fortunate with chub, carp are my area though, that pic of mine is a 46lb 15oz,

Edited by fishybarney

Guest The Outlaw

Tony

A 7lb 2 chub is huge and a five is a big fish also, so well done to you and your daughter wish i was that fortunate with chub, carp are my area though, that pic of mine is a 46lb 15oz,

You must know the lake I got my pb carp from, it is owned by the tackle shop in Aylesbury and is over in Quainton.

I get my chubb on the Ouze at Thornbourough, I have permission for a private stretch there.The bigger ones I have found are from Passenham up to Newport Pagnell, it is stacked with them up to 8lb never had one that big myself but seen an 8lb 1 out at Cosgrove.

Send me a PM if you ever want to give it a go for a whopper!

Tony

Guest The Outlaw

The lake is closed during the winter to members but a select few are invited to fish it over winter, The Tackle shop that own it now is near the Sainsbury store near the train station.

If you want further info I will get the contact details and post them.

I dont have it to hand.

"Matilda was last caught in April and her weight was 24lb 7 I caught her in september on 8lb main and 5lb hook length on a size 14 hook and two red maggots with a method feeder loaded with my own special method mix.

As I wasnt expecting to catch anything big I didnt have my camera with me but another chap did and I only have a colour copy of us not a real photo or anything good enough to scan in.

There is a pic of us in the shop on the wall.

She is a game old girl and it took 20 min to land her.

Tony

Tony

A 5lb chub is a very big fish for most waters and anything over that would be classed as a "specimen".

Most people watch Matt Hayes for "hints and tips" and also to enjoy watching someone who knows what he is doing.

To confess that you have never heard of the "curtain" in a carps mouth and then suggest that Matt Hayes could be someone, "with all the gear and no idea", is laughable.

You may not like his style, but he is an excellent all round angler.

Guest The Outlaw
A 5lb chub is a very big fish for most waters and anything over that would be classed as a "specimen".

Most people watch Matt Hayes for "hints and tips" and also to enjoy watching someone who knows what he is doing.

To confess that you have never heard of the "curtain" in a carps mouth and then suggest that Matt Hayes could be someone, "with all the gear and no idea", is laughable.

You may not like his style, but he is an excellent all round angler.

I said it was a bit harsh saying he had all the gear and no idea and the more I see him the more it bugs me.

Thats because he is always on our stretches of the Ouze and has never had a Specimen Chubb out as big as ours.

7's come out regularly. there are some 8lb + but have never seen one caught.

He also annoys me because he fishes a lot on private stretches where normal fishermen cant go.

Even on his sea fishing trips he gets the like of Roger Bayzand on "Sundance" out for ages.

I have know Roger for years and cant book him for ages.

Money talks and I dont blame people for taking it to let him fish, I would if I had the water or the boat and knowlege.

I would love Matts Job and reckon I or you could do it just as well if not better.

Mick "The Duke" Brown his long suffering fishing partner can fish well, I reckon he catches for Matt :)

I'm more jealous of where he can get to fish than how he does it.

Tony

I said it was a bit harsh saying he had all the gear and no idea and the more I see him the more it bugs me.

Thats because he is always on our stretches of the Ouze and has never had a Specimen Chubb out as big as ours.

7's come out regularly. there are some 8lb + but have never seen one caught.

He also annoys me because he fishes a lot on private stretches where normal fishermen cant go.

Even on his sea fishing trips he gets the like of Roger Bayzand on "Sundance" out for ages.

I have know Roger for years and cant book him for ages.

Money talks and I dont blame people for taking it to let him fish, I would if I had the water or the boat and knowlege.

I would love Matts Job and reckon I or you could do it just as well if not better.

Mick "The Duke" Brown his long suffering fishing partner can fish well, I reckon he catches for Matt :)

I'm more jealous of where he can get to fish than how he does it.

Tony

I have to say though matt may not have all his facts straight all the time he is one top angler both my father and my step father used to fish with him at Linear fisheries when it was based in Newport Pagnell (now great linford lakes), and they both said what an excellent angler he was, it was from fishing at these lakes that he got his opportunity to start making videos, because Len Gurd the owner of Linear also owns a Video company that makes the majority of fishing videos around today.

Then together they did the first series of Total fishing which is on Discovery Home and Lesiure, and it spiralled from there.

Mike Brown is always the sidekick in fishing terms, until you get him on predator fish when he becomes the daddy, he can catch pike and Zander from seemingly anywhere.

I think the pair of them make some great shows, defiantly better than the laughing idiot John Wilson, and Yibba Yibada Rex Hunt.

Guest The Outlaw

Probably maybe who cares.

I do regularly through the winter and if anyone wants some of the action PM me and I will arrange a trip to SOME of my fav hot spots and show you how its done.

Tony

Probably maybe who cares.

I do regularly through the winter and if anyone wants some of the action PM me and I will arrange a trip to SOME of my fav hot spots and show you how its done.

Tony

You ever interested in doing some carp fishing outlaw might be able come up with a deal over one days carping for one days chubbing or shooting??

Guest The Outlaw

You dont need to do a deal mate I would gladly have you along for either shooting or chubbing.

As I said before I am sort of new to carp fishing I have a pair of 2lb class Nash Hooligans with Diawa big pits with bait runner conversions, a pod and all the other bits for conventional fishing.

Only a member of Milton Keynes Angling though.

Shooting is my thing really.

I will PM my number to you and we can have a natter.

Tony

• 2 months later...

i only fish sea, but can understand the way carp anglers obsess over it. and as for matt hayes :rolleyes: , wont watch him since i saw him tell a young lad it would be £10 to sign his cap at the NEC a few years ago.

give me Rex Hunt any day of the week... "thank your mother for the rabbits"... i laugh every time. :good: