Fox with no ears

Elma Fud

This is one of 4 foxes taken last night on a local pig farm. When we saw her she made it safely across the boundary. We waited 10 mins to see if it would come back. After I started the engine, I saw her eyes again. We followed her across a large grass field before getting the chance of a shot. She kept walking away from us, I tried shouting to make her stop and look back but she wouldn't. I think she may possible have been deaf as well.

But she did stop, and another Basil was added to the night time foray.

post-11-1088939172.jpg

Chance genetic fault I would imagine. This one a particulary manky and mangy specimen is probably a prime candidate for taking poults the ears are quite useful for them for channeling sound which may affect his hearing for catching more agile prey such as rabbits. Is there a hunt in your area, this is the sort of prime candidate you'd expect them to pick up on their excursions :)

Teal

I agree, this is a prime example of an animal that a hunt would clean up.

I have never seen any hunts in this part oxfordshire, although I guess there will be a local hunt somewhere near by .

Its amazing how well the animal has coped with its handicap. I sure that this animal would have continued killing / eating young piglets if it were allowed too.

On that note of killing piglets the farm manager is concerned about the amount of piglets lost to crows. The crows are seen entering the huts once the pig is in farrow. The sows are poor mothers and dont defend the piglets thus allowing the crows to peck a newborn piglet to death. The farm manager said that he lost 5 piglets the previous week.

On that note of killing piglets the farm manager is concerned about the amount of piglets lost to crows. The crows are seen entering the huts once the pig is in farrow. The sows are poor mothers and dont defend the piglets thus allowing the crows to peck a newborn piglet to death. The farm manager said that he lost 5 piglets the previous week.

I shoot a pig farm locally frequently when the Sows are in farrow it is incredible what damage Crows can do to new born Piglets

Last year I shot 23 Crows after piglets and afterbirth and their were plenty more lining up to take their place.

I have also witnessed a earless fox caught by the VWH back in the early 80,s It was obviously a birth defect but how common this is I dont know.

FM are these standard carrion crows. I'd imagine daws are too small and rooks are more interested in leatherjackets etc.. having said that rooks have to look the most aggressive with their "pelican" gullet, is this for swallowing eggs? but I've been assured by ornathologists that they [rooks] do more good than harm. having saisd that I've shot a fair few in my time - they fairly pile in on wheat when it's been wind/rain damaged they are even able to knock it down themselves to an extent!

Edited by Teal

Teal Posted on Jul 5 2004, 03:29 PM

do more good than harm. having said that I've shot a fair few in my time - they fairly pile in on wheat when it's been wind/rain damaged they are even able to knock it down themselves to an extent! ]

I also believe that rooks do more good than bad. But it there does come a time when sheer numbers of rooks can cost the farmer thousands of pounds worth of damage to crops and goods.

One pig farm that I shoot on has a population of 2 - 3000 rooks and daws. The farmer feeds his pigs on nuts. As the tractor enters the field to feed the pigs these birds come from miles around and help themselves to any nuts they can steal from the pigs. The bird then pecks at the nut until it becomes an edible size. These pigs are feed twice a day 7 days a week, and the cost of this additional food runs into thousands of pounds.

One pig farm that I shoot on has a population of 2 - 3000 rooks and daws. The farmer feeds his pigs on nuts. As the tractor enters the field to feed the pigs these birds come from miles around and help themselves to any nuts they can steal from the pigs. The bird then pecks at the nut until it becomes an edible size. These pigs are feed twice a day 7 days a week, and the cost of this additional food runs into thousands of pounds.

Familiar storey where I shoot Elma.

FM

a.mass Posted on Jul 11 2004, 12:34 PM

Quote: Elma that farm isn’t in sunningwall is it

Its not sunningwell its Gozzardsford just behind the airfield. Next to the Blackhorse pub.

We're out lamping again tonight, so hopefully a few more brushers will be taken off the farm. :lol::lol::lol: