Falconry Picture As Promised

ShaggyRS6

I went over to one of my mates today who has an amazing setup. Unfortunately I did not take my fast big lens so did not get any good shots of these amazing creatures hunting. I will be going back very soon though ;) My son seemed to like them.

Big thanks to Alex. Top Bloke.

bi1.jpg

bi2.jpg

bi3.jpg

bi4.jpg

bi5.jpg

bi6.jpg

bi7.jpg

bi8.jpg

bi9.jpg

some nice looking birds there ;) . just curious do they all fly at the same weight ?

Unfortunately I have no idea what that means :oops: So cannot answer.

He is the local vermin control for the local Cremotorium. They even put up a sign saying that Vermin Control was peformed using nature's way :lol: Nice touch. Probably go back next weekend. He is also getting a golden eagle back very soon. Cant wait for that.

A picture of his setup below.

bi10.jpg

Edited by ShaggyRS6

This one below thinks Alex is its mate. He went in and the bird let him do anything he wanted. He was kissing the bird etc etc, making a right old fuss of it. He uses this one for breading. Apparently he gets all amerous with it, lifts its tail and injects Semen into the bird. Although this subject can be a little embarrasing, both myself and my son were amazed. Top afternoon. Cant wait to go back.

bi11.jpg

some nice looking birds there ;) . just curious do they all fly at the same weight ?

Unfortunately I have no idea what that means :oops: So cannot answer.

He is the local vermin control for the local Cremotorium. They even put up a sign saying that Vermin Control was peformed using nature's way :lol: Nice touch. Probably go back next weekend. He is also getting a golden eagle back very soon. Cant wait for that.

A picture of his setup below.

bi10.jpg

apparently when flyimg birds of prey the fly at a specified weight to hunt.just wondering if all are the same.

cheers

Rob

My limited knowledge of BoP and flying weights is that each bird is an individual just like humans. Although they all weigh roughly the same, only by trial and error with food and weights can you ascertainthe ideal flying weight for hunting, displays dependant on the time of year i.e Summer, winter and also for when the moult is on. The falconer has to weigh the bird each day and feed it just the right amount of food weighed out to maintain it. Its a lot of hard work, but well worth the effort when you see these birds in action.

Birds look like a Harris Hawk, Lanner x Perigrine falcon cross buts whats the bird on your lads hand with the hood on???

Regarding the bird that your mate gets amourous with, it is called imprinting and is done when the bird is hatched and the first thing it sees it believes that's what it is. I know someone who has a barn owl that he does the same with.

Cracking pics Lee, and looks like you and your lad had a great day. If I had the time, space and money this is omething i have wanted to do for well over 20 years since i was at school. Maybe one day, eh. ;)

By the way, does your mate have an Eagle owl. I had the most amazing day down in cornwall with one of these birds, they are so big and powerful and yet so light and gentle when they land on the glove. If he does and you get the chance to have ago, take him up, you won't regret it.

Cheers

SS :oops:

I have no idea what the one with the hood on is called. that's the one we took out for a fly. It went sodding miles, we could see it right in the distance. Alex told me that it can fly at about 60 in a straight line, upto 80-90 in a dive. It then came out of nowhere, swooping right past us. Amazing stuff.

Nope he has not got a Eagle Owl. I just cant wait until he gets a Golden Eagle back.

I will ask him what the white one was. Just texted him.

lovely depth of the colours in that last pic.

I very nearly got into falconry after my summer hols, if it wasnt for the amount of free time i have (or rather dont) i would. Amazing things to watch, i never imaged watching an animal work could be as fun as shooting.

Edited by dunganick

lovely depth in that last pic.

I very nearly got into falconry after my summer hols, if it wasnt for the amount of free time i have (or rather dont) i would. Amazing things to watch, i never imaged watching an animal work could be as fun as shooting.

Nick, that is so true, to have something as small as a kestral/falcon on your fist and to watch it climb, soar and then drop down on prey is amazing.

I am looking for next season to go out on a hunt with BoP. Probably harris Hawks over dogs for rabbit or hare. Just want somewhere abit more local.

SS

• 2 weeks later...

See here for more info. http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...mp;#entry442144

Please note, this is not a money making venture. Alex only does this kind of thing to fund his hobby. if any Admin or mods are not happy with my posting of further information please let me know and I can alter it or take it down.

Cheers all