.22lr ammo

I'm about to get hold of my SYSS custom 10/22 and need to buy a few different rounds to try in it. I want reliable subsonics. Price isn't a huge issue, although I don't want anything olympic grade! What do you guys like best? Are there any that play up in autos and I should avoid?

EDIT...I'm going to be hunting with them, so hollow point would be best.

Edited by njc110381

I'm about to get hold of my SYSS custom 10/22 and need to buy a few different rounds to try in it. I want reliable subsonics. Price isn't a huge issue, although I don't want anything olympic grade! What do you guys like best? Are there any that play up in autos and I should avoid?

EDIT...I'm going to be hunting with them, so hollow point would be best.

My custom 10/22 cycles winchester subs, subsonic cci's and even some very cheap made in the philippines target ammo :o It did not like eley subs though stoppages occuring every other round. Not really tried much else through it.

Hope this helps

Atb Mick

I'll get 50 CCI and 50 Winchester. Is it worth trying Eley too just to see what my gun thinks of them? I've read something about the wax lube clogging up autos, is that right (and if so, which are waxy)?

I tried the eley before and after modifying the extractor and they still wouldnt feed properly due to the waxiness of the cases. I also find that it can help to clean the rotary magazines once in a while.

Edited by luckytrigger

I'm thinking of using a 25 round butler creek mag, will that improve the feeding? I'm not sure what it will be like in the field though, maybe it will stick out of the gun too much and cause problems?

Best large capacity mag ive used on my ruger is the tactical solutions 25 rnd mag. These are excellent as you can adjust the feed lips to suit individual guns twice the price of the butler creek mags but very high quality.

Edited by luckytrigger

I'm getting the impression that every gun varies slightly regarding the ammo it likes. What I'm going to do I think is buy 50 of all the brands mentioned and try them! My experience of Eley at the range is they misfired a lot, but that could just be a bad batch?

I've got 3 butler creek mags coming in the post, they're only £15 each so I'll give them a try first to see how it goes :o

I'm getting the impression that every gun varies slightly regarding the ammo it likes. What I'm going to do I think is buy 50 of all the brands mentioned and try them! My experience of Eley at the range is they misfired a lot, but that could just be a bad batch?

I've got 3 butler creek mags coming in the post, they're only £15 each so I'll give them a try first to see how it goes :o

Let me know how you get on with your test firing mate B)

I tried everything in my two .22s (one semi-auto and one bolt-action) and came to the verdict that Eley appears to make the best .22 HP sub, and that CCI Velocitors are the best HP supersonic round.

Lapua were very accurate, but they don't eject cleanly. Eley seem the most consistent. Winchester were a bit cheap and cheerful.

Velocitors pack a good wallop though, but I use Eley subs for almost everything.

Eley subs are the most accurate in my B/A but do tend to jam up slightly because of the wax coating, I did spend the time to try and clean the coating off with hot water on a flannel and they did seem to cycle the 10 I could be bothered doing but i'm not doing that for every round :blink: