shotgun application

huntjt

hi, i have been shooting with two of my uncles now for a few months and am wishing to get a shotgun licence and possibly get a gun. i am 16 years old and live with my parents who havernt got a licence. i hav eno criminal record and have the perfect person for a referee. i was wondering if i would be able to get a shotgun licence at my age even though my parents dont hold one, and then if i was to be given a gun as a gift, due to the reason that you carnt purchase a gun until 17. would this be acceptable? cheers

cheers, i dont se any reason why i shouldnt be given a licence as i have no criminal record, secure gun cabinet in a perfect place and a great referee. so if i got my licence i would be able to recieve a gun as a (gift) lol no money exchanged from my uncle. IS THIS CORRECT? i was mainly concerned about neither my parents having licences and my age of 16. cheers

welcome to the watch mate

as far as im aware,you have a shotgun license at 14,as long as you fit all requirements :o

http://www.basc.org.uk/media/young_people_and_shotguns.pdf

You can legally get a shotgun licence at 2 years of age, its only 2 years old because you need to have one of your referees known you for 2 years.

i was mainly concerned about neither my parents having licences and my age of 16. cheers

My younger brother is applying for his shotgun certificate and he's only 15 and neither of our parents has a certificate themsleves, but i spoke to the FEO and there is no problem with him getting one.

I suggest you get the wheels in motion as the process is a long one. :o B)

As a shotgun certificate holder; your uncle could "transfer" a shotgun from his onto your certificate as a gift and obviously buy cartridges to give to you as needed.

BTW: Shotgun Certificates are not endorsed by referee's. They are countersigned by a single person who according to the home office guide to the police:

to be countersigned by someone who is

resident in Great Britain and who has

known the applicant personally for at least

two years, and who is a Member of

Parliament, justice of the peace, minister of

religion, doctor, lawyer, established civil

servant, bank officer or person of similar

standing. The term “person of similar

standing†may be taken to include persons

whose name might be found in a public

book of reference, including members of

professional bodies (such as architects,

accountants and surveyors), persons who

have or at one time held a commission in

Her Majesty’s Forces or who are qualified

teachers in recognised schools. It may also

be appropriate to include an applicant’s

employer if it is a well-established business

and the applicant is well known to them.

The police should be willing to interpret

“person of similar standing†widely in the

case of people who may have few

professional contacts in the community.

The good standing of the proposed

countersignatory and their knowledge of

the applicant are more important factors

than their professional position. Members

of the applicant’s family must not act as

countersignatories. In the absence of a

Court ruling, family is taken to mean the

following: mother; father; son; daughter;

sister; brother; aunt; uncle; grand parent

and mother/father/sister/brother in law.

Cousins are not regarded as immediate

family but co-habiting partners should be

regarded as “family†for these purposes

and not be accepted. Serving police

officers, police civilian employees and

registered firearms dealers must not act

as countersignatories.

Sorry about the post formating.

Hope this helps,

mr_colt.

yes m8 u can get a licsence wen u r 14 but u can only get a gun given to u and put on ur licesence until u r 17 and u can go out shooting on ur own wen u r 17 aswel hope ma info helps u :lol:

It's hard to make out what exactly the poster said but; the age you can shoot unsupervised on private land with permission is 15 not 17. I have heard of under 17's getting suspervision/mentoring conditions attached to FAC's for rifles but never shotguns.

I do recommend you get the BASC handbook "The Sporting Shotgun" as it will give you good grounding in theory for your firearms interview with the enquiry officer. It is also a fantastic general reference that no aspiring live quarry shooter should be without. It won't of course replace the practical tuition you have off you uncle but; will compliment it nicely. Also paying the £20 per year for junior BASC membership is well worth it; the insurance included is alone a must for anyone who wants to be a responsible shooter.

mr_colt.

yes m8 u can get a licsence wen u r 14 but u can only get a gun given to u and put on ur licesence until u r 17 and u can go out shooting on ur own wen u r 17 aswel hope ma info helps u :lol:

My friend is sixteen and has a licence and has been given a shotgun, i also have applied for my sgc.