Ear protection

fishybarney

Guest The Outlaw
I use Peltor muffs, Sonic II's but looking to upgrade to a pair of these custom jobs soon (~£60), http://www.noisebreaker.co.uk/products.htm comfy but not too expensive like the electronic versions! :unsure:

They are ok for spectating but dont protect other delicate parts of the ear like muffs do. However with thoose and muffs you cant go wrong.

Tony

I wear a pair of electronic defenders, had them for many years now. They are a bit more pricey but are absolutely essential in my opinion, and really the cost when you consider they last for years is absolutely minimal and hearing is something that you don't get back. If you go for non-electronic you will find that you often flipping the ear up on one side whilst you may mean to flip it back down you'll either not have time or you may also cause the bird to flare and thus not get a shot if you start moving about. It makes me cringe to see people shooting without defenders on.

I use the cover over ones non electronic as they protect not only the ear canal but the other very sensitive parts of the ear the plugs dont protect.

If your on the clays use a set of over ears as this protects the bones around the ears not just the ones inside.

That's news to me fellas :blink: Got any more info? The mate of mine who stalks professionally is given electronic eardefenders by his employer (the Forestry Commission). The FC are normally spot on with their risk assessments and Health & Safety regs etc, so what you say surprises me.

Guest The Outlaw
I use the cover over ones non electronic as they protect not only the ear canal but the other very sensitive parts of the ear the plugs dont protect.

If your on the clays use a set of over ears as this protects the bones around the ears not just the ones inside.

That's news to me fellas :blink: Got any more info? The mate of mine who stalks professionally is given electronic eardefenders by his employer (the Forestry Commission). The FC are normally spot on with their risk assessments and Health & Safety regs etc, so what you say surprises me.

Simple test if you plug your ears with your fingers and listen you can still hear. Cover them completley and you will hear little or nothing. As we get older the microscopic hairs in the ear are destroyed by varying frequencies at high volume,as they are all of different lenghts for different sound levels from very low to high. Once they are gone thats it no new hairs. the frequency of a gunshot is not far from the human voice unless you have a shrill voice. so if the gun shots damage those hairs you will struggle with hearing a voice. Thats why when using drills and the like they say to use total ear protection, I use a router a lot and drills and other high pitched power tools in my job, I use plugs under muffs and I have very good hearing.

The reason some may suggest to use plugs or muffs only is so that you can hear a shout of warning say if you are felling trees of drilling with a pneumatic drill in the road.

Electronic ear defenders filter frequencies so a voice can be heard and the gunshots cant but they are expensive and the cheaper option is plugs and muffs combined.

Tony

Edited by The Outlaw

Simple test if you plug your ears with your fingers and listen you can still hear. Cover them completley and you will hear little or nothing.

I would say it's the other way around, I can hear more with my ears completely covered than plugged.

As we get older the microscopic hairs in the ear are destroyed by varying frequencies at high volume,as they are all of different lenghts for different sound levels from very low to high. Once they are gone thats it no new hairs. the frequency of a gunshot is not far from the human voice unless you have a shrill voice. so if the gun shots damage those hairs you will struggle with hearing a voice.

Yep, got that bit from school...although it was a few years ago! :good:

Electronic ear defenders filter frequencies so a voice can be heard and the gunshots cant but they are expensive and the cheaper option is plugs and muffs combined.

But custom plugs like the noise breakers are designed to be filtered exactly the same, just using a physical system rather than electronic system. I know they aren't as good as electronic ones, but they err on the side of caution so that your still protected from the sound of the gun - but they may have to compromise some of some of the other 'normal' frequencies. Or that's what Emtec say anyway. That said, I have also heard what Stuart says - about the bone behind your ears - I'll have to quiz emtec on that too. :blink:

What types of ear protection do people use. Electronic, passive or ear plugs. Is it worth spending the extra money on the electronic types.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Cheers Greg

I just go out. :blink: then again it depends what you are trying to muffle.

What types of ear protection do people use. Electronic, passive or ear plugs. Is it worth spending the extra money on the electronic types.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Cheers Greg

I just go out. :blink: then again it depends what you are trying to muffle.

:good::lol: :lol:

I went for a hearing test and an MRI scan before Xmas as I've lost the ability to hear the higher frequency spectrum in my left ear... obviously too late to get it back, so all you with good hearing make damn sure you protect yourselves before it's too late - wish I had... at 40 I'm still a youngster! :good: :blink:

• 5 months later...

In line with the various number of posts on PW that there have been on ear protection, ear muffs v moulded plugs etc, I thought that I would post a copy of a number of emails that I have had from Emtec re their Noise Breaker's. Scroll down to the bottom of this post and you'll get the answers to the question as asked by me.

Seems to me that it is down to personal preference as to what type of ear protection anyone wears, there is no particularly wrong or right answer. The most important thing is that you wear something. I have never and will never understand people who don't wear ear protection when shooting. We only ever get one pair of ears! The modern technology available means that what ever type of shooting people do there is something out there for them.

I'll be shooting clays mostly but have only just started. I'll never need ear protection on for really long continuous periods of time. Therefore considering Emtec's remarkably honest answer below I'm going for a pair of Peltor Tactical Sport muffs

Dear Toby,

In response to your questions.

Ear muffs certainly attenuate more than ear plugs, because they do cut all the noise out that you would pick up whether through the ear or through the mastoid bone behind the ear. Hence attenuation is greater with them.

However at the expense of comfort etc. Ear muffs are not particularly comfortable for long periods, whereas our Noisebreakers being custom-made are extremely comfortable for a long time.

Also there are other issues to contend with muffs such as a correct fit over the ears if you are wearing glasses, & sweaty ears etc. Also their attenuation does depend on them being a good fit, whereas with the Noisebreakers they are always going to give good attenuation due their customised fit.

Comparing us with Green Leopard, all I can say is that we are considered the market leaders having been manufacturing the Noisebreakers for the past 25 years. The silicone that we use is a very high quality non-allergenic rubber. If you look at our users list it should speak for itself.

Communication is excellent with the Noisebreakers, due to the fact that there is a through channel, which incorporates an acoustic filter. This means that you can hear well with the Noisebreakers, whilst protecting your ears from harmful noise.

Do hope this answers all your queries.

Kind regards.

Adam.

Emtec Laboratories

Downton Stables, Downton

Shrewsbury SY4 4PL

www.noisebreaker.co.uk

----- Original Message -----

To: 'Emtec Laboratories'

Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:32 AM

Subject: RE: Ear plugs for shooting?

Adam

Thanks for your prompt response. I have been reading about the different types of ear protection that are available for people using shotguns etc, like myself. Unless you are going to spend 00's of £'s on digital ear plugs, it seem to me that there are 2 options available for decent ear protection

Electronic ear muffs - over the ear ear protection

Custom fitted moulded ear plugs - like Noise Breaker, Green Leopard etc

It seems like that a lot of people's decision as to which one to wear is down to personal preference. However what I have heard is that the over the ear electronic ear muffs protect the ear better as they cover the whole ear and stop noise affecting the bones in the outer parts of the ear.

Is this true or is it just an urban myth? Looking at internet forums like Pigeon Watch people have been told this by audiologists.

[*]For shotgun shooting will Noise Breakers do the job just as well or better than a pair of electronic ear muffs e.g. Peltor Sport Tacs?

[*]Are the Noise Breakers & Green Leopard custom fitted plugs comparable products (assuming that they have got similar filters in) or do the Noise Breakers do something that the GL don't?

[*]When wearing the Noise Breakers will they allow me to hear normal conversation, flight of birds etc but cut out loud noises like the shotgun going off?

Regards

Toby

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Emtec Laboratories [mailto:sales@noisebreaker.co.uk]

Sent: 19 June 2008 09:38

To: Toby

Subject: Re: Ear plugs for shooting?

Hi Toby,

Yes, the cost per pair of Noisebreakers is inclusive of the filters etc.

Kind regards.

Adam.

Adam Davison

Emtec Laboratories

Downton Stables, Downton

Shrewsbury SY4 4PL

www.noisebreaker.co.uk

To: 'Emtec Laboratories'

Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:37 AM

Subject: RE: Ear plugs for shooting?

Is that 70+vat all in, no extras e.g. noise filters for shooting etc?

Toby

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Emtec Laboratories [mailto:sales@noisebreaker.co.uk]

Sent: 16 June 2008 10:41

To: Toby

Subject: Re: Ear plugs for shooting?

Hi Toby,

The cost per pair is £70+vat, for a fitting, please contact our local audiologist, Nigel Haddon on 07971133288. I have attached our brochure,

regards

Adam Davison

Emtec Laboratories

Downton Stables, Downton

Shrewsbury SY4 4PL

www.noisebreaker.co.uk

To: info@noisebreaker.co.uk

Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:31 PM

Subject: Ear plugs for shooting?

I have read about your 'Noise Breaker' custom fitted plugs on the internet. How would I go about getting some fitted and how much would they be?

Regards

Toby