getting started ??

ORSON CARTE

hi all, i'm a new guy to the forum (great bunch from the various topics i have read). well i intend to start pigeon shooting this year, i'm a complete novice, no land, no deeeks, no cammo nets, no books,

no gun (well i have an old s/s). so a blank canvas so to speak. i know it wont come together overnight, but i want to go down the right path from the beginning (with your help!!).so suggestions please: what books/dvd do you suggest (and have you any sec/hands for sale). what starter kit would you recco, deeks, shells, flappers? the minimum requirement?. do you use cammo nets? or these new popup type hides?. the gun, most important!!, i recently borrowed my pals synthetic auto (gassed whatever that means), i'm a bit of an old boy now so i don't want anything too heavy, it felt great, light in weight and recoil,1/2 choked (no not me with my shooting). well folks i think thats enough questions for now, i look forward to any advice.

kind regards, ORSON (from solihull w/mids)

A lot of questions there all in one post.

The choice of gun depends what other shooting you intend to do.

A 12 bore under and over multichoke (available at various weights and prices) will cover vermin, clays and game shooting.

Before you commit too much expenditure on decoying equipment, try to get some vermin shooting permission, this you get by knocking on Farmers doors in your area.

I would buy an ex MOD cammo net, some flocked shell decoys and some floaters, at least two (have a "Search" round the site and there are plans somewhere to make your own floaters).

The rotary can come later.

Once you have shot some pigeons, you can add them to your layout to build up your decoy pattern.

"The Pigeon Shooter" by John Batley is a good book to read.

Thats a very general answer, but if you want to ask some more specific questions, I am sure you will get lots of good advice, but have a look round at some of the topics and you may find the answers are there.

hi oc and welcome to the forum , you'll get most of the info you need by browsing the forum , if you want some practical experience , give me a shout and you can tag along with me for a day to get a bit of an idea . (can't promise many pigeons though)

i'm not too far away , just near jcn 9 m6.hth :rolleyes:

20 shell decoys £ 40.00

2 full bodied decoys for lofting £ 7.50

30 M of twine + leads for the lofters £ 2.00

camo net hide £25.00

Seat 0r free 5 gal drum £ 6.00

pigeon rotary £ 45-60.00

hazel hide polls Free

willow floater polls Free

big bag to carry everything £ 15.00

sack for the slain Free

face mask £ 5.00

Plenty of field work to find the pigeons

£ 145-160

case of shells £ 40.00

gun of your choice £ 100 + ( I use a AYA no 3 cost £90 s\h )

So £ 285 - 300 , add a few pigeons and you are ready for a good day

Edited by anser2

Welcome Orson, PW is a good forum with lots of good advice available.

The search button "top-right" is very helpful to find out information.

I am surprisingly close to you if you want to PM me your contact info we can have a chat if that helps.... sometimes it is easy to get too much equipment and then end up in misery trying to carry it all..... like Ray Mears says in a different context.." the most useful tool is knowledge".

regards,

Malk

• 3 weeks later...
hi all, i'm a new guy to the forum (great bunch from the various topics i have read). well i intend to start pigeon shooting this year, i'm a complete novice, no land, no deeeks, no cammo nets, no books,

no gun (well i have an old s/s). so a blank canvas so to speak. i know it wont come together overnight, but i want to go down the right path from the beginning (with your help!!).so suggestions please: what books/dvd do you suggest (and have you any sec/hands for sale). what starter kit would you recco, deeks, shells, flappers? the minimum requirement?. do you use cammo nets? or these new popup type hides?. the gun, most important!!, i recently borrowed my pals synthetic auto (gassed whatever that means), i'm a bit of an old boy now so i don't want anything too heavy, it felt great, light in weight and recoil,1/2 choked (no not me with my shooting). well folks i think thats enough questions for now, i look forward to any advice.

kind regards, ORSON (from solihull w/mids)

Im in the same boat as you... its a lot to think about aint it. Your not to far from me.

cheers