Police Visit

everygoodnamewastaken

Just a quick note to say i had my police visit and it went good, she was pretty cool but didnt have much of a clue about the lisence and didnt know i could apply before i was 17. She said that i have 99.9% chance of getting a the certificate  :D  :D.

I havent been on for ages cause my net got cut off for lack of work in school  :evil:  so im wasting more time in school on here trying to doge the teachers looking at the screens...........Thanks for all the help guys and is i need anyone to shoot my pigeons when im a gamekeeper i know where to ask for help............... :D  :D  :D

• 4 weeks later...
:D Well the man from West Midland,s Police arrived on time and was with me for 20 minutes.The majority of the time he spent apologising for the deteriation of the service for certificate applications.I said that this was unusual for his force and I had several times gone into print in the shooting press and on the web praising their efficiency in the past.In so many words he said "please go back into print and say how disgusted you are at the service now". He made it quite obvious that he was embarrassed at the way shooters were now being treated. After he had checked the serial numbers on my guns (security check),he made to leave,at which point I asked for my certificate.He then staggered me by saying that this was just the start of the process,but he would try and hurry it up by saying that I was shortly going on an overseas shooting trip .He also advised me not to send my existing certificate in future when applying for renewal even though it is one of the conditions layed down by his force.Needless to say I am a bit deflated as I am still without a certificate after over 2 months. :D

The main question is, why some Police Forces require the old licence returned with your renewal form and some don,t.

There is supposed to be a complete standardisation of procedures, for the application for and renewal of, shotgun certificates.

I think ernyha would be completely justified in writing to his Chief Constable, asking for an explanation.

Well i phoned up my fao to see when my lisence should be due in because i have my first pheasant shoot at the end of January, She phoned backand talked to my mum who explained that all i go on about is shooting ect ect ect, then my mum said how i was saving for a rifle but forgot to mention it was an air rifle. The fao then said that i should put in for my firrearms certif just now so it costs less in the long run! The thing is that i dont have any land sutible for rifles. But i think i'll say i wast a 5 shot shot gun or something so i can get the lisence, And it would look good on my college applications  :D  :D I magine.....A police officer recomending me to buy firearms!!!!! Amazin!!! :D  :D

They arnt all bad egnwt :D the reasion they will push for you to apply for both together if they think that you are going to apply  for a fac in the near future is that it saves them paperwork and extra visits,I would be surprised if they grant you  sgc and a fac for a 5 shot shotgun,they will want to know what reasion would you have for needing one (usually practical shotgun)or if you have a fac and no sgc it means you can hold a shotgun on fac thus saving money on extra applications.How about appling for a fac air gun?it will be much easier to demonstrate good reasion for this and you would probably get more use out of it.Are there any rifle clubs near you?perhaps you could apply for .22lr for target shooting.The thing you will have to demonstraight is that you have a fair knowledge of what you want a bit of experiance and of course are going to be safe with it

There is rifle clubs very close to me but theres no point joining up because im moving out 9 hours away to do a gamekeeping course! :D  ( Which i cant wait till) I think i'll get a fac airgun. Clarify this: Can you get a double darrled shotgun on a firearms? Then what is the point of me getting a shotgun certificate? Do you need it to buy ammo?

theonly shotguns you can have on a fac are guns with more than a 2 shot magizine,in practice this means either a 5 or 8 shot pump or s/a,if i was set on getting a fac i would also get a sgc as a matter of course (if they grant a fac a sgc will not be a problem)and you then have a choice of the more conventional shotguns to choose from

:D Well I now see that it is an automatic 5 year sentence to be caught with a gun without a licence.As my licence expired on Dec 17th and no sign of the police renewing it,I assume that I am liable to be a guest at one of HM prisons if stopped while out shooting. :S  :S  :evil:

It seems that friday will be the day when we find out what they intend to do :D .i think the best we can hope for is "a promise to look into the matter further"probably involving a load of reports and meetings and the worst,well further restrictions and bans,they seem to have it in for brocock at at the moment (the people who make the air cartridge guns) and air soft/replicas.Although i have no particular interest in any of these items i definatly dont want to see any kneejerk bans imposed,the thing is the government and head honchos in the police force have to be seen to be doing somthing.one things for sure,whoever said that all publicity is good publicity definatly wasnt a shooter :D

:D The letter is very interesting regarding the section on shotguns.His opening assessment is that "they are unaware of any real problems with legally owned shotguns or of their misuse." He then goes on to give a list of recommenations to tighten up the law even more.We can,t win can we ! :evil:

This seems to be the very thin end of the wedge,i have the last basc newsletter here that says talks with poice and government officials have led to the conclusion that there us no need for further restrictions and age limits on airrifles etc.What has changed?some lunatic with a type of weapon that has been illegial in this country since just after the second world war opens fire and all of a sudden you need to be 17 to use an airgun unsupervised and we need good reasion for shotguns.I think this proves one thing the government and most high ranking police officials despite what they say want a far smaller number of guns in private ownership :D

Neil, issue date 17/12/2002,so legally i was covered all the time as my old one expired on 16/12/02. The problem would have been if asked to produce it between Nov 2 when I sent off my old one and yesterday.Also buying cartridges could have been a problem if it hadn,t coincided with my mate buying "double quantities" during that time. 8-)