I really need help with this decision!

Toby

Hi,

i really need help and fast! right, the situation is that I want to buy a BSA supersport air rifle. my local gun shop has one in and we can go and buy it now! (yey) BUT, htye only have .22. Is it true that .177 is more acurate than .22? if so then how much more?

I only do targets at the moment at not very long range but might do some ratting or other sort of air rifle hunting at some point! So do i get the .22 now or wait till they get a .177?

please guys i need your advice now more than ever!!!

cheers, toby

Be Patient Toby. .177 for you my friend

:lol:

Agree with the shagmeister, be patient mate and you'll be glad you did in the long run :lol:

.177 rules! :lol:

n.b .177 isnt any more accurate than .22, it's just that you dont have to worry about range estimation as much with a .177 .

So basically it's 'easier' (if thats the word) to shoot with as it's more forgiving when it comes to range estimation.

Edited by monkeyjaimz

Thanks for all the advice guys! i really dont know what i'd do without this forum! (exept have bought a .22 istead of a .177)

Right, iv decided to wait for the .177, i've rung the shop and there gonna get one in ASAP for me (dont know when yet)

so thanks again! lets hope its worth the wait!

Cheers, toby

Thanks for all the advice guys! i really dont know what i'd do without this forum! (exept have bought a .22 istead of a .177)

Right, iv decided to wait for the .177, i've rung the shop and there gonna get one in ASAP for me (dont know when yet)

so thanks again! lets hope its worth the wait!

Cheers, toby

Nice one, you wont regret it.

Do yourself a favour in the meantime and get a sample pack of pellets from pellpax:

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/acatalog/Pellpax_SAmple_Packs.html

So when your new rifle arrives, you can find the perfect ammunition to put through it, once you've found the perfect pellet for your gun - you'll never look back mate :lol:

to be honnest mate i say .22 (not just do disagree with shaggy n monkeyjamz) its the only thing i have personally shot vermin with and targets. I have shot my big bros s200 (.177) at targets and crows etc and i prefer .22 ( mainly because of the stopping power and i think they are more accurate (my opinion)) anyways its up to u :lol:

ps. i think there was a post acuple of weeks ago telling you the ups and downs of both caliber :lol:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...mp;hl=22+vs+177

cheers,

GM

Edited by bunnybasher07

ps. i think there was a post acuple of weeks ago telling you the ups and downs of both caliber :lol:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...mp;hl=22+vs+177

cheers,

GM

Couple of weeks ago? that threads 2 years old! well trawled that man :lol:

You are right to say it is all down to personal preferance, however ANY calibre of pellet is going to stop airgun quarry if it is placed accurately in the kill zone - so 'stopping power' is not really an issue when discussing the calibre of a pellet.

Pellet weight, energy retention and hard / soft pellets are another matter :lol:

How many Field Target boys shoot .22?

Answers on a postcard please

you have made a good decision :lol: :lol:

:lol:

Exactly. You kind of made the decision for yourself stating that you will be using it for Target shooting. When the time comes to go hunting, which it will, then you will be perfectly setup.

All vermin shot with an Air Rifle should be killed in the head only, therefore the stopping power IMO (not being argumentative)is a mute subject. .177 or .22 in the head is going to kill.

I have had and used both .177 and .22 and I now own a .177.

For me its the better calibre for 12ft/lbs, flatter trajectory etc.

At the end of the day in the head is dead as Shaggy said, know your range for effective grouping and you wont go wrong :lol:

Like Shaun, I have both 177 and 22. I only use the 177 below 12 ft lbs. Entirely different subject for FAC air. 22 all the way for me. That's what my 22 will be converted to once i get around to it.

All vermin shot with an Air Rifle should be killed in the head only, therefore the stopping power IMO (not being argumentative)is a mute subject. .177 or .22 in the head is going to kill.

Is there an echo in here? :lol::lol:

ANY calibre of pellet is going to stop airgun quarry if it is placed accurately in the kill zone - so 'stopping power' is not really an issue when discussing the calibre of a pellet.

Yes very true, but its just personal prefrence and i dont know why i said stopping power.. well i know some guys who shoot rats directly in the head while lamping with .177 and they manage to crawl away somehow and i dont have that problem with .22 (just my opinion) and i just noticed that is 2 years old :lol::lol: also shooting an apple at 25 yds with a .22 does allot more damage than a .177 and personally i would want that. say for instance its windy and your shooting rabbits and the wind takes it slightly or you pull it it will still kill it (headshot) .. but thats just me and i am not saying .177 is bad caliber or that its just my opinion :lol:

GM