shooting over rape

jimdfish

One of the farms i shoot is cutting the rape today,the pigeons where going on to it within hours.They started yesterday hope to be finished on friday,i will be set up and waiting saturday morning.Building a hide in the middle tommorow night.Two in the hedge so i have different places if they move there flight lines :)

Jimdfish,

Difficult to answer, I can only suggest do reconnaissance, it always pays.

What is certain is that if there is an attractive alternative foodsource they will be off at the first gunshot.To get a good day the birds have to be committed to feeding there, recce a lot shoot a little.

Good luck.

LOL,

Sounds a bit like the forecast for me too jim.

I have mentioned that recces arte important also, but like you say jim sometimes the fields are just to far away so the only answer is to recce the area while your shooting.

I am not getting out as much as I'd like due to almost rebuilding the house but good luck on all your shoots.

The PM

Oh I had my first 2 birds with one shot the other day, not a big group just two birds come in and my timing was perfect. Down they went

Round these parts birds follow the combines so we have to be on the fields as quick as possible. The birds favour the very freshest cut rape and if we dont shoot the fields within a couple of days the farmers are in with the Simba disks and the fields are cultivated very quickly. Of course the cultivated fields can shoot well once the spilt seed has germinated as the birds can get moisture from the young shoots of rape.