shooting

sundance

just got land with lots of big trees on and when dark comes the pigeons come in two roost never shot at night ,dnot want two wait then blast them with 12 bore and frighten them off the rest of the night also have a logon 16 whats the best way to get more than one or two birds help needed to get a bag full to keep farmer happy

You don't shoot pigeons at night when roost shooting, you are shooting the pigeons as they come into the woods to roost.

Depending on the weather, they can come into roost from about 3pm onwards.

Under the Wildlife and Countryside act 1981, chapter 69, Part 1, Section 5, paragraph 1, c, (v) "any device for illuminating a target or any sighting device for night shooting" in the killing of birds is not allowed.

You don't shoot pigeons at night when roost shooting, you are shooting the pigeons as they come into the woods to roost.

Under the Wildlife and Countryside act 1981, chapter 69, Part 1, Section 5, paragraph 1, c, (v) "any device for illuminating a target or any sighting device for night shooting" in the killing of birds is not allowed.

I'm pretty sure that there are certain birds that you can lamp, and ferals are one of them if not the only ones. But without checking it up, I couldn't say for sure.

Your best bet is to ring the local firearms enquiry officer as he/she will know the laws inside-out :good:

I'm pretty sure that there are certain birds that you can lamp, and ferals are one of them if not the only ones. But without checking it up, I couldn't say for sure.

Your best bet is to ring the local firearms enquiry officer as he/she will know the laws inside-out :yes:

:lol::/<_<<_<:yes: OOps mine might be reading this, usually their knowledge is very limited.

Hows that for putting it politely? :rolleyes:

:unsure: D2D

thanks ,i,ll have to sit and wait for them comeing

Choose a very windy afternoon with the wind blowing at your back, be in position well before light starts to fade, 3pm as suggested before.

Make sure your head and face are covered ie balaclava,and dont move until they start to fold their wings and are committed to coming in, try to avoid the temptation of high or long range shots, keep still and you should have some good sport.

If you are able to, keep watching over several evenings and note the wind direction and which way they approach the roosting wood, it is important to have the wind blowing hard, they will approach against the wind and this will keep them flying in low, on a fine day they will circle at 200ft and drop straight down into the warm center of the wood.

If the wind is strong but direction is not favourable it might be an idea to suss out the flight line and ambush them behind a hedge on their approach to the wood.

Hope this has given you something to think about and you have some good shooting.

:rolleyes: D2D

There yez goes. From the general license. As previously stated, only town hall pigeons by lamp.

Subject to the terms and conditions below, and for the purposes set out in paragraph (1) above, this

licence permits:

(iv) in relation to the killing or taking of Feral Pigeon (Columba livia) only:

(a) the use of any device for illuminating a target or any sighting device for night shooting, by

authorised persons acting under subparagraph (2)(i) above;

(:lol: the use of any form of artificial lighting or any mirror or other dazzling device, by authorised

WML Gen-L05 (12/07) 2 persons acting under subparagraph (2)(i) above;