Anglia News Rook video

Well there are both rooks and jackdaws in the video. I would have to say that the bulk of them are rooks though.

Got a decent rookery by me, I used to shoot it quite a lot but have lost interest, you soon do. People still shoot thousands from it every year both through february, in May on the branchers and at both harvest and drilling time on crops. I only bother trapping them around the farm yard now where they both **** on everything including silage and other feed (and tear the protective sheets) as a disease risk and also financial cost. Doesn't seem to dent the population in the slightest, I reckon it's probably actually good for the population to be thinned out a bit. Last year I did my university project on them, to do this I had to collect birds from the nest, rear them up and do some behavioural studies. Talk about diseased, these youngsters had everything under the sun. Managed to treat them up for worms and coccidiosis, as well as a few general medications when they were losing condition.

When you actually bother to pay attention to rook carcasses you'll be amazed how many you see about the place. It's only since I've done my project and seen how riddled with disease a lot of them are that I notice them.

Lets try and make this a bit easier,

What kind of bird is making the noise? What kind of birds can you hear?

Well this sounded like a bit of a challange and so under deception of a nice trip out for mothers day I took the missus into the badlands that is Norfolk and on the way home, convienently got lost at Buckenham to check this out. Luckily we timed it just right and manged to watch the whole show from small groups (10-15) of ROOKS coming in to large groups (4-500) of ROOKS. It has to be the most amazing sight I have ever seen in terms of sheer numbers of Rooks, the reporter wasn't wrong there must have easily of been 30,000 plus there. We were there for just over an hour and the noise and sound of that many ROOKS wheeling, cawing has to be seen in the flesh to be believed. I have taken some pics and will try to put them up later in the sporting pics section. I also took some video on the Digicamera, but being only 5.2Megapixels, not the greatest. I even managed one or two shots through the binoculars (That was a hard one to explain as to why they were in the car :good: )

But just for the avoidance of Doubt they were

100% ROOKS.

SS

Part of video photage shoot on my Digital camera, not the best I know, and this was when we got there as they moved from one field further on to the "meeting point". I'll try to post some more later. Had to get the pheasant in the frame at the end

Sorry for the black picture, but at least you can hear the rooks.

SS :good:

Edited by Suffolk shooter

Lets try and make this a bit easier,

What kind of bird is making the noise? What kind of birds can you hear?

Rooks, stirky I hear rooks. The picture shows a 'clamour' of rooks.

Rooks, like starlings are known to form unlimited assemblies of their kind, unlike jackdaws which never exceed 30-40 family members, although jackdaws do mix with rooks, and jackdaws are famous for imitating other birds calls.

In case anyone does struggle to identify the family of corvids, rooks and crows are a similar size, crows have a black beak with feathers covering the nostrils while rooks have grey beaks and bare, grey nostrils, though young rooks heads/beaks look like crows until they reach their second summer, bit confusing that.

Jackdaws look very much like small crows but they have a grey cap.

Hooded crows or 'Hoodies' as the jocks call 'em have dark heads and wings with a grey body.

Choughs are rookish but with a more slender red/orangey beak and legs.

Carrion crows can be much larger than rooks and the Raven, well they are very large carrion crows and very rare.

I think everyone knows a Magpie and the Jay.

Maybe its Jackdaws you've been shooting all the time stirky :good:

Cheers, C.B. :hmm:

Edited by Country Boy

"unlike jackdaws which never exceed 30-40 family members," well we must have bl@@dy big families of jackdaws in yorkshire, where flocks can number into 100+

Our latest "crow" shoot at the weekend accompanied by two keepers and an underkeeper produced 168 jackdaws (small ones with grey head and rounded wings that form large noisey flocks) and 19 carrion crows (large ones with more pointed wings and large beak).

You cant beat years of hands on experience :good:

Edited by stirky

:good: Yep thats right it is mainly jackdaws that are shot on the crow shoots, so i know what they look and sound like :good: You cant beat years of hands on experience.

There are rooks on the video, that is a fact, but like i have said before, the large flocks of small round winged fast flapping birds making a racket are jackdaws. :good: