pigeon decoying over rape

drewy

Alryt thought id write to see if any one else has had the same problem as i have and if they have got any ideas of how to get bigger bags. I have land which i have shooting rights on which grow quiet a bit of rape, i check the fields regularly and theres always about 500 + birds on one of the fields in the area which i shoot but i try decoying them and they just dont want to no they are in big flocks so they dont come back in after the first bang so after a few hours you end up with like 2 or 3.

Not sure what time your getting to your chosen spot? i'm guessing after the birds are there?

If thats the case after you set up Dont be in to much of a hurry to shoot the fisrt thing that flys in....If the pigeons are still down on the ground

at another part of your field WALK them off....Basicaly leave your gun in the hide and just walk up to the pigeons untill

they take flight....The idea is that they should come back to the area in smaller groups....Otherwise one BANG and 500 pigeons know you're sat there

with a gun....Just a thought mate i have done it and had better result not huge but better :)

yer that sounds like its worth a try, popgun wot kit were you using when decoying on that field? Im ment to be going up to a farm in the cotswolds soon which i havent been to for about 6 weeks or so which was being hammerd by another 500+ pigeons but i had the same problem up there then so im hopeing the flocks have broken up a bit and im takin a mate to set up on one of the other rape fields as they just went over to that one last time when i set up.

• 4 weeks later...
Alryt thought id write to see if any one else has had the same problem as i have and if they have got any ideas of how to get bigger bags. I have land which i have shooting rights on which grow quiet a bit of rape, i check the fields regularly and theres always about 500 + birds on one of the fields in the area which i shoot but i try decoying them and they just dont want to no they are in big flocks so they dont come back in after the first bang so after a few hours you end up with like 2 or 3.

Me and my shooting buddy have the same problem, have given up setting up on fields of rape covered with pigeons, too often we get suckered...BANG BANG BANG...its all over.

we went on the Multi Map and downloaded saterlite photos on a scale of 1;5000, peiced them all together and made a large map of the area, then everytime we went out we would record where we saw the pigeons and wich way we saw them flying......over a period of time you build up a flight plan of the whole area and district you shoot on...flights do change as to food availability but a pattern does emerge eventually.......we walk the birds off the feeding areas then set up on one of the regular flight lines...the decoys dont really pull the birds in but they do tend to pull the birds down from height, enough to pull through on them.

Making the map and filling it in is a lot of fun and it gives you more of an understanding as to why birds use certain areas to fly in, and it is surprising to watch as a pattern emerges

Ditchman

i was shooting with my unger bro last fri on rape the pigeons was so we walked them off and we set up near were thay was and thay just keeped coming for hours we getting some good sport on rape up here at min :good:

Edited by ferretman