Hand sweat tarnishing my gun!!!

HEAD SHOT

After a sort period of time I found that my new Silver Pigeon was discolouring around the silverwork. Turning black infact. I told my dealer of this and he said that the sweat from my hands whilst carrying the gun was to blame. Apparently some people have a higher acid content in their sweat than others. Amasing but true. They advised me to clean it by usind 0000 grade wire wool. Is there any other advice to be had on this......(no stupid comments please I am serious).

Edited by HEAD SHOT

I would hazard a guess that this reply from the dealer might be a poor excuse. To blame "acid" in the sweat aint right. would the makers not consider people with sweaty hands? They might not have used the correct metaling process. Either way, i would contact the manufacturer and ask them direct, or other owners of this gun. :angry:

Buy a micro fiber silver cleaning cloth. Dont use polish, or it will stick in the engraving and look horrible. Also coat all surfaces in a light wipe of oil after use EACH TIME this will slow down corrosion. I would stay away from paste polish and wire wool, as it will wear out the silver pretty quick and you will see marks where the plate is worn through :angry:

EDIT:

I will also add that the acid content theory is a load of rubbish, there is more oil in your prints then acid :good: so if there is a real corrosion/oxidation problem as mentioned above, you should contact the shop or manufacturer to look into it.

You can beat propper cleaning to prevent such problems, but I have never heard of this issue before.

Edited by Hunter

I'm no expert or anything but I cant see how your sweat would effect the finish in this way :good: ...Providing you were to wipe your gun down after every use, I cant see how it would have time to effect the finish. You really shouldn't have to be using wire wool on a new gun and I would be looking at getting a replacement as it sounds like there is a problem with the metal work to me...Hope you sort it out bud :angry:

Headshot,

I had the same problem with my paw prints on the bolt of my Sako rifle. :angry:

The prints turned black and I can’t get rid of them, I would refrain from using anything abrasive though. It’s a lesson in making sure you clean your guns correctly when you return from shooting.

We live and learn. :good:

the term is called 'RUSTY FINGERS" it is a higher acid level in your sweat, when working in a machine shop enviroment you will hear many guys refer to the rusty finger guy, no-one will lend tools to, my good friend Ian back home had this, all his tools were oiled after use or they would rust very quickly.

mocrometers and verniers dont work well rusted up, it can affect your firearms the same.

Martin