moderators or not

shoot57

Belive it or not, those 3 were shot over a period of about an hour in fog that was lifting and lowering, after all that noise from 3 unmoderated 6.5x55's we actually bumped into another hind on the way down the hill :good:

A very tiring but very sucessful morning, glad it was mainly a downhill drag back.

HPIM1055__Small_.JPG

There is an article in one of the shooting mags last month written by a stalker who placed his client, and then walked round to move a pod of fallow out of a wood in front of his client - all done safely before anyone starts - he has done the same for clients with and without mods fitted.

He has noticed from that position he can pinpoint the location of moderated rifle shot, but unmoderated the sound is far more dispersed.

Driven deer shooting? Sounds a bit poor.

As for mods - i'm all for them (from a stalking perspective) on both the hill and woodland mostly from a hearing and discretion point of view. Being still relatively young I would like to maintain my pretty good hearing for a while yet and dont want to wear ear plugs whilst stalking. Also they make life a lot easier when in forestry where there may be walkers etc. in the vacinity - pretty sure the FC specify modded rifles on lets.

I've only ever shot with moderated deer calibre rifles but have been in the company of unmodded rifles a good few times and the difference is huge - whether the deer notice or not I know I do!

as i said at the start of this topic i like the fact that my unmoderated rifle is nice to handle when shooting from a vehicle and as a varmint it has a heavy barrel so i dont notice too much barrel flip but if i add a moderator, how much longer will it make the rifle? i do not wish to shorten the barrel before fitting.

Well i am all for the use of Mods, whether it's a .22rim or a .300mag.

Having had mine for a while now i use it on my .222 & .270 and it is fitted no matter what i'm using the rifle's for.

The .222 is a dream to shoot with it on, and it has tamed the .270 to a whole new level.

Depends on what you want, but i don't find it cumbersome on either rifle, and i haven't had the barrels shortened.

as i said at the start of this topic i like the fact that my unmoderated rifle is nice to handle when shooting from a vehicle and as a varmint it has a heavy barrel so i dont notice too much barrel flip but if i add a moderator, how much longer will it make the rifle? i do not wish to shorten the barrel before fitting.

If you go for an over barrel type or not you will add about 4 to 6" to the lenth of the rifle.

Barrel shortening isn't essential, most don't bother, but if you are going to have it done getting it chopped when you have it threaded would make sense.

its not driven deer its moved deer the shooter waits ina safe place in range and the guide walkes thru a woodland or cover smoking as he goes if he smokes and the deer walk out not run a cull animal is chosen or trophey and whallop deer down

No one mentioned smoking or trophy heads in the article, so I have no idea what you boys are on about :lol:

Stuart See above quote with refrance to smoking

Stuart See above quote with refrance to smoking

I meant in the article no one mentions smoking, PW poetic licence I think, as was the reference to trophies (they were shooting hinds :yes:)

And as we all know smoking doesn't affect the outcome of a stalk - a free correct, if controversial, answer to a DSC1 question :yes: