Problem with licsence and cabinet

jammy1800

basically my dad has a shotgun liscense (but not firearms) and obviously has his cabinet, but what if i wanted a firearms liscense and i wanted to keep my rifle in his cabinet i think that there is a law against this.

solution one get another cabinet

solution two both get firearms certs (but then theres problem that i dont have shotgun cert)

solution three just he gets the firearms (but what would the law say about me using his gun) im 16 yrs old

solution four somehow get around the law

Another cabinet is the solution.

Whilst some forces consider adding the same weapon onto two certificates for this very reason many simply won't do it.

There isn't any way around the law, in the situation you give as an example :-

You would have access to shotguns which you are not lawfully allowed to possess (even with an FAC)

Your father would have access to firearms which he is not lawfully allowed to possess

You'd both be breaking the law for not preventing access to the respective weapons in accordance with your licenses.

Its like £50 for a FAC or Shotgun Cert.

Im pretty sure you an get a Cert for about £70 that allows you to legally use both (this cert is there for shotty and rifle owners so they dont have to get 2)

If you and your dad were to both get this Cert, Costing altogether an extra £40 than you'd be paying normally, then youwould both legally be allowed to use both weapons and legally both be allowed access to them.

Im not exactly sure on the price you'd have to check it up. Although it does beat paying £120- ?? for another safe.

I think you might be talking about a "co-terminus" certificate which isn't any different to an individual SGC and FAC except that they both expire at the same time and you actually pay LESS than you would if you got them separately.

This doesn't give you the right to share guns, you'd still have to square that off with the FLO. In theory if both people both have SGC's, and both people have FAC's with slots for ALL the weapons then this can fly.

There isn't a special certificate which allows you to share weapons.

Yes I didnt mean they could share weapons. I was just saying as you did that because they would both legally be allowed to have the guns mention there should be no problem with them "sharing guns" as they are both legally allowed.

I dont see why it should be a problem but its always best to ask your FLO

Edited by Bigthug87

I think you might be talking about a "co-terminus" certificate which isn't any different to an individual SGC and FAC except that they both expire at the same time and you actually pay LESS than you would if you got them separately.

This doesn't give you the right to share guns, you'd still have to square that off with the FLO. In theory if both people both have SGC's, and both people have FAC's with slots for ALL the weapons then this can fly.

That's it exactly, it's that simple, possession of a SGC does not allow you access to a firearm and possession of a FAC does not allow you access to a shotgun. The only soloution is two cabinets or both of you to have a SGC and FAC.

What a novel statement in the original post; "somehow get round the law", it's called breaking it, not getting round it!

The only possibility that I can see that may be acceptable, is if each gun has an individual securing wire inside the cabinet, you both have keys to the cabinet, but only keys to your own gun locks, but whether this would be acceptable will depend upon your police force and your FEO, have a chat with him.

Edited by bob300w

That's it exactly, it's that simple, possession of a SGC does not allow you access to a firearm and possession of a FAC does not allow you access to a shotgun. The only soloution is two cabinets or both of you to have a SGC and FAC.

What a novel statement in the original post; "somehow get round the law", it's called breaking it, not getting round it!

The only possibility that I can see that may be acceptable, is if each gun has an individual securing wire inside the cabinet, you both have keys to the cabinet, but only keys to your own gun locks, but whether this would be acceptable will depend upon your police force and your FEO, have a chat with him.

.Sharing a cabinet with shotguns is no problem; just get your SGC and have his shotguns put onto your cert. It is fairly simple and the police are fairly familiar to this sort of situ in families with multiple SGC holders.

For a firearm in the same cabinet; you would need to apply coterminous so you could get a SGC to put your fathers guns on at a cost of £10! Then for the FAC part of the application; you would have to justify that the firearm was "chained" or otherwise secured to the inside of the cabinet. Preventing it's removal other than by you as the sole key holder; your dad must not have the padlock key to unlock and remove the firearm.

This is something that has been approved before but needs careful handling at application with the FEO. To increase your chances of acceptance; since you will have to get a secured ammo safe for your rifle ammo: You could agree to store the rifle-bolt in the ammo safe. Which again would be locked either by a key or code only possessed by you and not your father.

It might just turn the FEO's opinion towards an acceptance. In this situation I would seek detailed advice from the BASC firearms dept first. They are experienced in handling cases like this and will tell you what you need to do on the form and tell the FEO in order to hopefully satisfy him that the arrangement is secure.

.Or there is the "easy-peasy option" of buying another cabinet with ammo compartment for your use only. You have sole access and store your firearms and ammo in there. But go for a coterminous cert as that means your get a SGC out of it for £10 to put your father's guns on. Meaning you can access his cabinet he cannot access yours. This does not disbar you father in future seeking a FAC of his own; as long as he has the land permission etc for "good reason" then he can hopefully get the right calibre slots on his FAC that you can put your rifle/s on his ticket! Giving him the permission to access your cabinet too. It is a long-winded approach but since you need a secure ammo safe/box anyway for the FAC; it might benefit in the long run if you start acquiring more slots for different calibre firearms. Scoped firearms are a pain to store in anything other than an extra-deep cabinet anyway.

mr_colt.

Edited by mr_colt