New rifle

njc110381

Well I've been sat messing about with the mag and some empty cases all morning and it seems to be working loose. I also filled it up and pushed it in harder with a pencil a few times to really work the spring. It's tight but usable now, so I'm sure after a bit of time it will be fine. I'm itching to use it, but with no mod yet I don't want to take it to the farm to run it in. Not the best day for blasting is it? I may get up the club tomorrow. I haven't got a scope yet, but you don't really need one to run it in.

Whats your method for running it in?

I was looking at the border barrells website the other night and they reckon it takes a "WEEK" to run a barrell in properly

That's for a premium cut-rifled barrel, Bart, not a standard factory barrel. I don't reckon there's much call for such a time-intensive process on a CZ factory barrel.

And even with a premium barrel, I'm yet to be convinced that it is required in the minute detail that the yanks go to, fire one, clean, fire one, clean, etc, for a week, I can see more wear and crown damage being caused by this than actually shooting the gun.

To run mine in I first clean the gun (first shot was fired already at the proof house). Put a patch of solvent down it and give it five minutes (or whatever the instructions on the solvent say), then patch it through with gun cleaner. Then run patches through until dry. Fire another (your first) round and let it cool for a couple of minutes. Repeat the cleaning above. Do this 10 times, one shot and clean. Then fire two rounds and clean for the next 10 rounds. IMO that's the job done, and my Tikka will shoot through the same hole at 50 yards so you wouldn't know more than one shot had hit the target. Some say you need more shots, but I don't see the point! A box of bullets down and you're ready to play :good:

For a newbie one thing to watch is that no threads of patch or oil is left in the bore after cleaning. After a few shots it's easy to get bored and overlook this, or get fed up with patching all the oil out. It's very important you make sure the bore is dry before firing your next round, and take a look before loading to make sure there are no threads of cotton left in there! Use a bore guide and good plastic coated rod too.

strange thing cleaning....Ive watched several dvd,s and read some articles on cleaning and nearly all of them differ in what they tell you, a few weeks ago my first shot at a fox after cleaning was a 100yd easy shot which i cleanly missed. after about an hour i had a second shot at another at 150yds this time spot on hit exactly where i aimed, i know my rifle is accurate and was worried for that hour and very relieved after the second shot....has anybody had the same thing happen?