Unusual Gun

Whizzo

My father has a gun that I cut my teeth on 16 yrs ago. It is very unusual and would be interested if any of you have heard of one before. It has following features:

Single barrell .410, 28"

hammer action,

side lever opening

folding (ie barrell folds back to stock)

Tiny carved front end

Tan colured stock

Only markings are serial no. (4 digits) and 'Foreign' in capital.

My father bought this from my uncle after about 10yrs of asking.

I'll try to get a picture. It seems to me to be a poachers gun and I am 90% sure I saw one in a documentary yrs ago about poachers (that gun had the stock cut away internally so that it appearwed to be an elongated triangle).

I reckon the gun could be at least 60yrs old - the blu-ing is either non existant or worn off.

Any ideas?

Whizzo

I have seen a very similar gun. it was exactly as you describe, but it had a hexagonal outer shape to the barrel.

Obviously the inside of the barrel was round.

This gun was made in Belgium and despite its unusual appearance, didn't have any financial value as a rarity.

Apparently loads of these types of guns were imported into the UK between the wars.

A good Gunshop could tell you where it came from.

Belgian or maybe Spanish. Probably dates from between 1910 and 1940. Approximate value if in good condition, £60. A photo may tell me more.

Originally sold by agricultural merchants. Popular with farm boys (and as you say, poachers) as they could be folded and carried in a shoulder bag, or stashed on a tractor. Fairly inexpensive when new.

Hi

I have a gun just like the one your on about and mine has the cut out stock and belgian made, i have had this gun for 30 years only use it now for pigeon roost shooting, but in that time have shot loads with it. even shot a snipe in full flight (what a shot) the thing was i was shooting at one on the right of me and a second bird to the left of me fell down.

steve

I have seen a very similar gun. it was exactly as you describe, but it had a hexagonal outer shape to the barrel.

Yep, sounds like it. The gun has that hex shape at the breach and becoming round.

I don't know what it was about that gun, maybe because it was so light, but I could hit everything with it at 16. (even downed a goose!)

Now at 33, I am considering lessons with my 12g Lanber becasue I feel that I can hit nothing!

It will never be sold, but I'd love to learn more about it. Came across a gun last night on the net 'El Chimbo' which had similar features.

Thanks for the reply's

i have a similar side by side hammer action 410, 2 inch cartridge cut out stock, side leaver break fully folding , bought as a curiosity piece for £60 about 4 years back, the ones withe hex breach block were as i was told converted rook rifles, son has one virtualy identical to my side by side .