We keep blanking with this gun

pigeon master

Hello fellas,

Just a quick question and that is, my mate 12 B.B has just got himself a beretta super deluxe, very nice gun with gold game scene.

This gun is very similiar to my silver pigeon so its baffling me why we can not hit a bird with it, me and my buddy are very good with my gun but we have blanked three times with the deluxe model.

I'm not saying the days we went out were red letter days, only a few birds to shoot at but we should have had a few, part of me is saying we are trying to hard with it and another part is asking does this gun have a different point of aim.

I have been winding him up saying that it must have some voodoo anti curse on it :D

Thats one of the reasons I needed to get out yesterday because I need to get a blank out of my system ASAP, and I managed a decent bag of 17 birds.

So guys even though this gun looks just about identicle to mine why are we having trouble hitting the target, I have mentioned that we need to do a test shoot onto a blank paper but could it something else?

Cheers for any good advice.

The PM

Apart from the obvious things like gun fit, chokes, cartridges etc., I would take it to a Sporting Clay layout and give it a proper test.

I don't think that live quarry shooting is a fair comparative test for a gun, as a lot of the elements that constitute the shot, vary every time.

Be assured, if you convince yourself that you can't hit anything with the gun, you won't.

Its called "The Nadgers". :D

I though my lanber was destroying my shooting - 4 birds 30 cartridges - I felt like getting lessons.

Went out this morning with my gear and a big poster of a nissan jeep that came with sporting gun mag. I put the poster on one of those big bails, paced 30 yards and shot in the middle. I was hoping to see was I hitting where I was aiming....and I was! (pattern was slightly up and right of centre but well spread)

I shot 11 birds for 25 cartridges - a big improvement.

Could it be a confidence or over-thinking problem - believe me I've been there.

PM, Take both guns to any decent clay ground and they should have a pattern plate. I would put money on the Deluxe shooting about two foot higher than your Silver Pigeon at about thirty yards.

The deluxe was intended solely for game shooting so you will need to 'Shoot the birds feet off' in a manner of speaking. The Silver pigeon was a multi purpose gun from Beretta, and was made to shoot to point of aim.

The pattern plate should shed some light on the Blanks.

Rob.

have to agree with AP here point of aim seems to be your problem,maybe cureable with a stock alteration (the simple and cheap fix ) or if it dont work dont tie into it ,dont be afraid to change the gun , ive had to many shooters who cannot get into the gun or shoulder right ,where the gun they have doesnt fit , but rather than listen and admit the obvious they pursue a lost cause ,earning all the bad habbits of incorrect gunfit, remember one thing , a gun that dont fit and shoot for you may as well be a fence post ,find a gun that shoots well for you and keep it ,if poss find a second and shelf it,as to your last comment , you may find the difference in the 2 guns may be as much as say 1/4" over 24" work that over 30yds and you are another 11.25" higher big dif eh!!

anyway my two cents worth ,hope your friend finds a solution to the problem.

martin

PM

One way to test the point of aim is to look at a point in a room like a cornice or a feature in a picture. Keep both eyes open. Then mount the gun still looking at the point you have chosen. Then close one eye and look down the barrel. If the bead isn't pointing at what you are looking at you have a problem and will probably need to get the stock altered. I have looked at guns before and found that sometimes the point of aim can be 2" to the left or right. Obviously this can make all the difference when shooting.

P

Cheers guys for the comments,

I didnt know that AP about the deluxe shooting higher which makes sense if its really for game birds.

I have mentioned that it would be worth getting this gun shooting at a pattern plate but havent got round to it as yet.

We did get out yesterday though and he managed to get his first two birds with it, very happy man I'm sure.

I think this may sorted the problem as I'm sure we were both trying to hard with it.

Most will know that I'm still in my first year of shooting over decoys but my shooting has improved so much over the last three months, I'm starting to take doubles and have even had two birds with one shot which made me laugh because I had 12.b.b with me as proof, these two birds were not in a flock but the only two coming for the pattern.

Thats progess in my book.

I have a chance at a driven shoot this winter and I feel that after shooting at pigeons for the last few months then I can stand there confiedent that I will hit some of them high birds, so I'm looking forward to that loads.

Well guys cheers for the comments and as always you learn something new after every post. :yp:

The PM