.22 RF shorts

Hi!

A nice old chap I go target shooting with dropped me in a couple of boxes of .22RF shorts last week. Tonight I got to try them. Loading them is a sod! and is a one at a time affair in my semi. Firing them is as close to silent as your gonna get, but they don't have the energy to cycle the action and eject the old one. At 25 yards they group nicely but about 5mm lower than a standard subsonic round. Out in the field I picked off four bunnies, 3 with resting head shots at about 20 yards and one in the neck at 32 yards, all dropped stone cold dead. It seems to me (allbeit early days) that these things are well handy! Quieter than normal, power wise some where between an air rifle and a rimfire with subs. Definately gonna try to pick some more up to experiment with, might even try to pick up an old anschutz single shot target and convert it for a silent short range bunnie tool.

Have you guys had any experiance with shorts??

The cb longs are good. I use them in my marlin underleaver where they are much quieter than standard subsonics. All you hear is the firing pin hitting the case and the bullet impact. Ive used them in my ruger 1022 but just use it like a 'straight pull' as as already been commented there isnt enough Uuumph to cycle the action..

The cb longs are good. I use them in my marlin underleaver where they are much quieter than standard subsonics. All you hear is the firing pin hitting the case and the bullet impact. Ive used them in my ruger 1022 but just use it like a 'straight pull' as as already been commented there isnt enough Uuumph to cycle the action..

Yep, they are great fun to use and very quiet.

I believe that it is Volquartson that make a conversion kit to allow the use of shorts in a 10/22, new magazine and spring etc. I'll check on that and get back.

Edit; Yep, there you go,

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?S...egory_Code=CONV

Edit 2; Details of the CCI 22CB, CB long, shorts etc here, the 22 shot is fun also!

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx

Edited by bob300w

Yep, they are great fun to use and very quiet.

I believe that it is Volquartson that make a conversion kit to allow the use of shorts in a 10/22, new magazine and spring etc. I'll check on that and get back.

Edit; Yep, there you go,

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?S...egory_Code=CONV

Edit 2; Details of the CCI 22CB, CB long, shorts etc here, the 22 shot is fun also!

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx

great link Bob. thanks :good:

BG1

.22 shorts were as common as cornflakes in the 50s and 60s.

Not a lot of choice of manufacturer in those days though, it was Eley or Eley, with the very rare shop selling Winchester or Remington. (and I think that most of these were liberated from yank air bases).

As a matter of interest, Eley 22 short in 1955 were 6 shillings (30p) per 100 or £2.11.0. per 1000.