Centrefire moderators

Dunkield

The discussion regarding which mod is best comes up quite a lot on this, and other shooting forums.

The current Shooting Times magazine has a back to back test on most of the front runners, that may be of interest to anyone about to buy.

I didn't buy it, but I know some people on here subscribe, I couldn't see the test on their site either, maybe it will be added at some time.

The review was pretty poor actually, Mr Potts contradicted himself, last year the A-TEC was the best thing since sliced bread now his buddys PES mods are 2 of the top three...go figure! :good:

How the T8 can come that far down is beyond me... :)

Now can anyone shed light on how he came to his conclusion because I cant. :lol:

Well that aside, I recently heard a T8 fitted to .22-250 and was very surprised indeed, just how well it worked. Does having a neoprene cover fitted make a difference to the performance of the mod?

Not to the performance, they are to stop the ringing noise that occurs when twigs hit them whilst stalking.

I haven't read the review yet but it continues to amaze me how much disagreement and controversy still surrounds sound moderators. It's hard to believe that not one person has done an unbiased, strictly scientific test on all the moderators available so that there can be nothing left to argue about! :lol: (maybe they have, but I have never seen it! :good: )

The tests should all be performed on the same rifle and include:

1) Noise, measured a consistent distance from the muzzle a - equivalent distance to shooter's ears, b - equivalent distance to a 'spectator' and c - a set distance down range

2) Weight/distance of centre of mass (an end of barrel mod will make a rifle more nose heavy than an over-barrel mod of same weight)

3) Size

4) Price

5) Build quality

6) Ease of stripping/maintaining

7) Aesthetics

Out of these points 1) to 4) are scientifically measurable and/or absolute. 5) to 7) are somewhat subjective, admittedly.

A simple score on each of those points then people can make an informed decision based on their individual requirements! Or am I over simplifying an extremely complex subject over which we must all argue indefinitely? :)

Edited by alexm

I quickly read the article on the bog.

I thought the T8 came out tops - or was that me just projecting my own thoughts onto the article given that I coughed for a T8 not that long ago?

If there is a scan in the pipeline I shan't bother, but if there isn't I shall retrieve said mag from the office bog and scan away.

Edited by Mungler

You must of had a quick read, or a quick pooh.

The PES came out on top when I read it :) (also scanned very quickly while bouncing along with a Tesco's trolley, before I chucked it back on the rack)

Jagerman, are you involved with A-Tec in any way?

Well that aside, I recently heard a T8 fitted to .22-250 and was very surprised indeed, just how well it worked. Does having a neoprene cover fitted make a difference to the performance of the mod?

Not to the performance, they are to stop the ringing noise that occurs when twigs hit them whilst stalking.

Thats the good thing about the A-TEC it doesnt make any noise if its knocked.

You must of had a quick read, or a quick pooh.

The PES came out on top when I read it :) (also scanned very quickly while bouncing along with a Tesco's trolley, before I chucked it back on the rack)

Jagerman, are you involved with A-Tec in any way?

Ive got 2 if that means im involved...im guilty me lod! :good:

Ive used pretty much all the mods on the market and have my favourites for one reason or another.

Ive got 2 if that means im involved...im guilty me lod! :)

Ive used pretty much all the mods on the market and have my favourites for one reason or another.

It is good to hear from an owner.

A-Tec's can storming onto the market as the next best thing, and took quite a pounding in some areas of the web for poor build quality and then poor service backup.

I take it yours are both fine? what calibre rifles do you have then on?

Ive got 2 if that means im involved...im guilty me lod! :)

It is good to hear from an owner.

A-Tec's can storming onto the market as the next best thing, and took quite a pounding in some areas of the web for poor build quality and then poor service backup.

I take it yours are both fine? what calibre rifles do you have then on?

Mine are still fine, no issues.

Build quality is second to none as far as I can see, and as for service its spot on. Any ramblings ive seen on the net are complete hash and there is more to it than people let on im sure. Calibre wise, 270, 243 and 6.5x284.

Like ive said, I have use most and there are none to touch the light weight and noise recuction of the A-TEC IMO.

Edited by Jagerman

Mine are still fine, no issues.

Build quality is second to none as far as I can see, and as for service its spot on. Any ramblings ive seen on the net are complete hash and there is more to it than people let on im sure. Calibre wise, 270, 243 and 6.5x284.

Like ive said, I have use most and there are none to touch the light weight and noise recuction of the A-TEC IMO.

I totally agree with Jagerman here, I have two A-Tecs, one on the .243 and one on the 6.5 x 47. The .243 has done a LOT

of work and the Mod is absolutely fine. It's too early to tell about longevity of the one on the 6.5 but sound reduction qualities are superb.

from what i read of the artical it was a load of **** they had no sound testing equipment and they cant make out what was best. when looking at the chart where he graded them he had 4 mods joint 1st and the t8 was the worst on there. how does he come up with these conclusions. and anouther thing was prices were they rrp as it said the jetz is £299 i picked mine up for £279 so in my eyes its not a true test.