best way to get into being a keeper

hi all,

i really would like to get into keeping but think i am a bit old to be going college..

is college really needed?

i dont think so as all the older generations never went college did they??

i will stick to the question i want to ask mainly..

what is the best way to get into keeping or under keeping??

and does any one know any where or any one who may take a apprentice "if you like" on??

all help appreciated

Hi Martin

I am only 19 but I'm currently going through the process of getting an apprenticeship in game keeping, Ive found the best way is to write to as many estates/farms as possible in your area and also contact your local college as they can sometimes help with placements.

As it may take you some time to find a job i would also think about investing in chain saw certificate, poison certificate, tractor driving etc as you will need them as Ive been to several interviews were they have asked if i hold such certificates and haven't got the job as someone else has all ready got them.

Also try registering your self on this website http://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk is very good you have so send Helen Benson an email saying your looking for a game keeping job and she should send you a form to fill in.

Hope this helps and that you find a job

Matty

Edited by mattyb19

Started out by giving the local keeper a hand aged about 13.

When i came to leave school the shoot offered me a placement on the old YTS sheme. (showing me age now)

I think it was 2 months work on the shoot then a month at college, Sparsholt was the only agricultural college to have the course back then.

Good Luck with your chosen career. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

welcolm to my world!! i have benn helpiing loacal keepers for 8-9 years then i went to collage (newtonrigg) on the first diploma in game keeping and countryside management i recently went away on placement to perthshire and have been offerd a underkeepers job now so all that time shoveling poo( no coments please) and grafting, the last one in and the first one out. working in the cold and all hours for hardly no pay at all and ime finaly on the first step of the ladder now

soo all i can stay is no matter how hard they work you, how littel you get paid, how much of a todger you boss is the first shoot day when that screeming cock bird comes over the paying guns and getts killed cleanly and is hung in the larder it makes it all worth while it realy does you will never be rich being a keeper but you will be the gaurdian of our countryside

soo good luck

Edited by highseas

you'll never find a apprentiship in keepering but alot of the college's run day release so you get to estates

if your serious about keepering then the NGO have a data base for you to put your name on then when people ring them they give your details.

i have my name on there and i have had loads of calls but no job offer. it's real tough but alot worse if you have no experience.

i was a keeper for 7 years when i left college and stupidly left to fund my children and have spent ever since trying to get back in.

but if it's wot you wanna do then get out there. as stated earlier your never too old :yp: