.243 for Red Deer

A few months ago I finally got a .243 for roe muntjac. I knoe that some people say its not enough for red but I have been up to scotland in august for a few years now and the few red I have shot have all been with a .243. My question is which bullets would you reccomend. I know it has to be a minimum of 100gn. My rifle is a remmington 700 sps.

cheers

Are you loading or buying factory ammunition?

I recommend RWS 100 grain SP if factory ammunition is your thing, the RWS cone point 96 grain bullets are very good on Red deer if reloading. 100 grain Hornady Spire Points have worked well for me, but not as well as the 96 grainers.

The minimum requirements for deer shooting in each location are as listed below BUT you might want to check if your rifle is reaching the minimum muzzle velocity/energy requirements in each case. DON'T rely on the cartridge size alone as it may not provide the correct mv/me! For instance an 80g bullet can/may produce the same or greater mv/me as a 100 g bullet.

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Northern Ireland

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .236 inches, a minimum bullet weight of 100 grains and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Scotland

For roe deer, where the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds may be used.

For all deer of any species - the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.

It must be stressed that all these figures are the minimum legal requirement.

For all deer stalking the bullet must be of a type designed to expand/deform on impact.

The minimum requirements for deer shooting in each location are as listed below BUT you might want to check if your rifle is reaching the minimum muzzle velocity/energy requirements in each case. DON'T rely on the cartridge size alone as it may not provide the correct mv/me! For instance an 80g bullet can/may produce the same or greater mv/me as a 100 g bullet.

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Northern Ireland

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .236 inches, a minimum bullet weight of 100 grains and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Scotland

For roe deer, where the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds may be used.

For all deer of any species - the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.

It must be stressed that all these figures are the minimum legal requirement.

For all deer stalking the bullet must be of a type designed to expand/deform on impact.

well done Highlander, which make a nice change :rolleyes: