Centrefires: from fox up to fallow deer

Baldrick

I'm thinking of paring down the small collection of rifles in my cabinet, amongst which I have a Tikka .223, a Remington .22-250, and a Sako 6.5x55. I do more and more rabbit and fox control now, and much less deer stalking. All of the stalking is in UK woodland, and mostly fallow.

My plan is to ditch the .22 CFs and in their place buy a .17HMR to use when the .22 rimfires are inappropriate. Therefore I only need one centrefire that will cover me for shooting foxes up to fallow. My argument for keeping the 6.5x55 is that it's mild-mannered, yet offers some serious punch. The argument for replacing it with something like a .243 Win (not an A.I. or PPC - I don't reload) is that the .243 has a laser-like trajectory and I am spoilt for choice on factory ammunition. The 6.5x55 is also a little excessive for regular use on fox.

Any thoughts from the centrefire owners? Have I missed any blindingly obvious alternatives?

Edited by Baldrick

keep the 6.5. You already have it and you wouldn't gain much by switching to the 243 (availability being the primary). The only way I'd consider switching is if you reloaded and wanted to shoot longer range with the bigger gun. In that case though you could just keep the 22-250 for flatter trajectory on fox, and realistically how far away are you shooting fallow?

Thanks,

Rick

It is, Stuart, but a relative (also a left-hooker) has got first dibs on the Tikka. It's a lovely rifle though - I never did figure out why there was so much anti-Tikka T3 feeling out there.

I should have mentioned that I do quite a lot of long-range vermin shooting, e.g. 350+ yard rabbits and crows. That's where the concern over trajectory comes in.

With your passion for long range vermin shooting in mind what you really need is something flat shooting. Say a .204, 22.250 or 243.

As much as I love my Sweed I just do not consider it flat enough for point and shoot at longish ranges where one does not have time to mess about.

I have toyed with the same idea as you, just keeping say 3 rifles to cover everything. I have a .204 which I would keep and I am leaning towards the idea of a 25.06 to replace the Sweed. I would then just have the HMR, .204 and the 25.06 which should cover all my requirements. If I just wanted 2 rifles I would go with the .204 & 25.06.

Not much help to you really but I feel you really need a flat shooting vermin musket and you may be better changing the Sweed to a .243.

Charlie, I've spent the whole day scratching my head about this. I've opted to get rid of the 6.5 Swede and replace it with a .243, based on the fact that I do shoot disproportionately more muntjac/fox/vermin than I do fallow. As things stand I only get minimal use from each rifle, which is what's driving the partial cabinet clear-out. I'd rather have three high-quality rifles (which I can shoot almost instinctively) than a cabinet full of guns that only see the light of day infrequently.

I think you are making the right choice.

I swapped my .243 instead of my .223 for the .204 twelve months ago because I did not want another musket but I made the wrong choice. Should have kept it.

As I said I am now trying to decide what to do. I really wish I still had the .243.

I've only just spotted this post. I'm surprised you didn't opt for a .25-06. The .243 is capable of the job you want to give it, but surely getting the variation on a .30-06 just in case is just putting you back in the same position as you're in now? :wub:

I did consider a .25-06 in place of a .243, but preferred a .243 at the time due to availability of ammunition. The .30-06 will give me a broader range of firepower, for want of a better phrase. It's acceptable for boar and for Plains game, which I do shoot.