First Time!

Be careful they do not drown.

Might be an idea to put some clean pepples in your drinker (the red bit)

Allowing them to drink but not swim.

Have fun!

sound advice, we use chick rings in mini masters drinkers!

have they gone through starve out yet?, interesting to see the mortality rate.

good luck and keep us updated :hmm:

Be careful they do not drown.

Might be an idea to put some clean pepples in your drinker (the red bit)

Allowing them to drink but not swim.

Have fun!

sound advice, we use chick rings in mini masters drinkers!

have they gone through starve out yet?, interesting to see the mortality rate.

good luck and keep us updated :good:

There were quite a few eating last night and I think they were all drinking, we dipped their beaks into the water (read this on an a pheasant rearing site). There were none dead this morning.

Getting them drinking is half the battle, keep changing the water on a regular basis to keep it cool, we have just rearranged all our drinking lines on the game farm, we used to have the main pipe going through the bigger rearing sheds, and then the smaller pipe feeding off the saddles into the drinkers, we have now moved the big ogy pipe outside and run the smaller pipes through the side of the sheds and in, cooler water, and ours are drinking alot more which is good.

Not a problem with the 8 x 8 brooders, seems to be working well for us :good:

• 3 weeks later...

Well another update, I have been away for a week so my brother and a mate have had all the pleasure!! Read on.

Well the little beggars’ started to fly over the 2' pen we had them in inside a garage (we lost one due to this, but we have had NO deaths by natural cause). So my brother moved them into another garage so they could have the run of the whole place! I cannot believe that they can fly so far at just two weeks old, and run! well try catching them.

We are keeping a costing to see what they will cost us by the time we have them to eight weeks, then we will compare the cost of poults.

Your costing will be very favourable (day old vs poults), but you will not factor in time taken. Of course if the people involved see it as a fun hobby rather than a chore then you won't need to assume hourly rates!! :lol:

:lol: hi every one i am the lucky brother to be looking after the phesant chicks they are three weeks old tomorrow and are doing extremely well, like my brother said we have only lost two,i have just been out to see how they are and they are a long way away from the heater and is only on low and is about 27" off the floor i have been turning it off during the dayfor the past three days so i think if the weather stays as mild as it is i will try them without heat during the night aswell any views on this would be welcome.

If possible i would raise the heater up a bit if possible and do it like that during the night. Have you go the birds into a night shelter/nursery pen during the day yet ?

GH

They have not been outside yet! We have another pen to move them to in a week or so, however I would like to ask what shelter at night do the need?

We also have a release pen to constuct where we are going to release them, any views on this.

Update!!

Well we are into a month old and we have lost 5, 2 drowned a bucket of water that was accidently left in the brooding pen! and three had found there way behind our gas bottle and I found them dead (gas bottle moved). They are all doing well none have died through natural causes! Fly I did not know that birds so young could fly so well.

They are off heat, the weather here in rainy Wales is realy hot, so we have given them a go off the heat.

Purchased a quill drinker, this is a must for less hassle. They are still on chick crumb and we have started giving them grower pellets as well.

Will be moving them to our outdoor run perhaps next week.

Well we have lost no more, my brother had to take one out today it was being pecked by the others, we will be moving them to an outdoor pen on Saturday (weather permitting).

Picture shows the quill drinker, its amazing how they know how to drink from new source almost as soon as we installed it, the same for the spring feeders.

post-3734-1213905335.jpg

Edited by welshruger

Well we bit the bullet on Saturday and moved them outdoors to our pen. The weather was terrible, but we lost one in the week due to the other pecking it, so it was disposed of.

Here is a picture (from a mobile phone) of them in the pen on Sunday, they all seem very happy considering the weather (thunder storms and heavy rain throughout the night).

post-3734-1214300831.jpg

Well done, I don't like to use straw for bedding as you are more likely to get disease than with wood shavings. But it seems that you did not have any problems this time. Are you thinking of tagging these birds when released?