.17 augila

no point in having one. It is a standard length 22LR necked down to 17. Good in theory, until you realize that the mach2 is the same thing except using a stinger case to start with (slightly longer). the Mach 2 will give you a little more velocity. If you really want to shoot aquilla ammo you can do it in a M2 chamber. And, the M2 is more common to get ammo for.

Thanks,

Rick

no point in having one. It is a standard length 22LR necked down to 17. Good in theory, until you realize that the mach2 is the same thing except using a stinger case to start with (slightly longer). the Mach 2 will give you a little more velocity. If you really want to shoot aquilla ammo you can do it in a M2 chamber. And, the M2 is more common to get ammo for.

Thanks,

Rick

wow so you can use .17a in a hm2 wont you need it on your fac or is it classed as the same ammo? i liked the look of it you see and yes i can see amo being a problem

also would you need .22 stinger on your tiket to buy one or is it classed as a .22 rimfire?? thats been puzzeling me for ages AND whats the diffrence between a stinger and a lr apart from the lenth of case?

a stinger is a type of 22LR ammunition. No separate classification needed. The difference is the casing is about 1/8" longer than standard for a little more capacity.

A 17 aguilla is not the same cartridge as a mach 2 since the name of the cartridge is different. I guess that means you'd need both on your cert to shoot an aguilla through an HM2 chamber. I wasn't thinking in terms of certificates, just ability.

I wouldnt bother with any of those calibers myself. Might aswell go straight for the HMR or ideally a small centerfire. The .17mach2 is a pretty rubbish round from what I have seen, a low performing version of the .17HMR which has better velocity, accuracy, range and availability of ammunition and gun choice, all of which seem to be cheaper to get hold of.

.22 rimfire, its main function is to provide ultra low noise shooting, its main drawback is the ricochet hazard.

.17hmr main function: better range and flatter trajectory then the .22lr rimfire round, and better stopping power. Drawback is the noise it makes, but almost no ricochet hazard.

20cal centerfire rifles, main function to provide long range vermin control, and the ability to take large vermin species such as Fox. Drawback is a louder report then the previous rifles, high cost of ammunition.

Ok so these are only very simple points, but the .17 Mach2 simply doesnt fit in, its supersonic giving it a lot of noise, but the bullet at range becomes unstable as it passes through the transonic stage from supersonic to subsonic velocities. Much like hyper velocity .22lr rounds do. It there for serves no purpose for quiet shooting or long range shooting with good accuracy.

hunter,

The HM2 still has a place, albeit a small one. The HM2 is basically an HMR minus 60 yards. That gives you a range of ~125 or so realistically while holding on fur (rabbit sized). That's a lot more than a 22LR and the HM2 will be more accurate with less drop and drift. The advantage over the H<R iss that ammo is half the price (at least in the states) and is inline with premium 22LR ammo.

That said, I have both an HMR and a 22LR. I don't really have a need for it. My next one is a higher power 17 in centerfire (17 AH) for all of the benefits and uses of an HMR but with increased range and reloadable.

thanks,

rick

I can see no point at all in the .17HM2, The HMR seems a fair round but a .17AH would be better and reloadable, put a small moddy on them and you have a tidy rifle.

As an aside I have tried Stingers in three rifles, a 1712 Annie and two custom semis. in all three accuracy was very dissapointing but they killed very well when they connected.

A

Edited by Alycidon

alycidon,

If someone is a fan of stingers, then the HM2 is a perfect replacement. The HM2 is half the price to shoot over the HMR so if you're putting a lot of rounds down the tube then the HM2 may be a better choice. Unfortunately, neither of those situations is going to be common in this country. With the difficulty in getting a gun in the first place, you're not going to be able to get all three (22, HM2 and HMR) on your ticket whereas in the states you can have 5 of each if you like. So given the choice, someone here is going to choose either the 22 for price and noise or the HMR for the extra power. The HM2 is too specialized, too niche, to have a strong place here.

The HMR is a great little round. On shots to 150 yd it is point and click without thinking about holdover (double a 22LR). As a rimfire it is relatively cheap to shoot. It doesn't make much noise and you can shoot it without ear plugs or moderator in a pinch. Inside of 100yd it is potent on anything up to the size of a fox. Beyond that range it is accurate enough for head shots if you want on rabbits.

The 17 AH is the next realistic step up in performance. Cost per shot is about the same as the HMR, but you have to consider set up costs. Since no one over here has an encore/contender, it means finding a donor action and having a gunsmith build you one. Then you are talking reloading dies (2-3x the cost of standard cartridge dies), forming dies, and all of the extra reloading equipment that you need to load 17 caliber stuff. Once you get over that hurdle you have a great cartridge. For most guys that is too much extra when you can have an HMR or a 223 (depending whether you want the cost/size of the AH or the range) for the same cost per shot.

Stingers used to shoot great from my marlin. They were MOA at 50 yd which was all the further I was shooting a 22 back home. Once I had the barrel cut and put a moderator on, they shot poorly at best. Now remington subs and greentags are best for me. The stingers do put a number on whatever they hit. If I were to shoot a fox with a 22, that's the shell that I want (or a velocitor with the slightly heavier bullet going just a little slower).

thanks

rick

thanks guys i was thinking of getting a .17cf but mr fao would see his bum me thinks as i have a .223 and a hmr and i have deer permish on the way so its a case of plese sir can i have a blunderbuss to knock a roe out with

so has any one used a .17 augilia its a .22 lr necked down to .17 it looks good but hard to get hold of no? ne mind its .22lr time agen me thinks

thanks all

ps what you guys reacon of a 25-06 for roe and the ocasial red wen i get the chance are they hard to get ammo for or get passed on land (high seat mainly)