Clay shooting grounds: Restriction on cartridges

p@cman

Do most clay shooting grounds have restrictions placed on them regarding the types of cartridges that can be used?

Reason I ask is a mate I go clay shooting with has a 19th century 12 gauge hammer gun that he enjoys using, but following advice from three different gunsmiths, he would prefer to use black powder cartridges rather than nitro. However when he asked at the clay ground today if using black powder cartridges would be ok he was told no, not alright. Too noisy.

I understand that local councils & planning departments may place certain conditions on noise/cartridges regarding any planning consent agreeing to clay shooting, but are most clay shoots likely to be subject to such restrictions?

Anyone else experienced this problem?

P.

Most grounds that are anywhere near housing will have some form of restriction slapped on them, although we comply with the noise restrictions (after many tests) without having to use any particular cartridge, we are only permitted to shoot between 14.00 and 17.00. :good:

we have a 28g maximum and a maximum shot size of 7 at our ground..... :good:

Thanks Shaun, do you have any restriction on use of black powder cartridges?

Good question that.....

i would have to say not that i know of......

as long as it falls within the 28g/7shot size we would let it go

Just how much louder is the black powder?

shaun

PS

we have just have a sound testing done for planning permission all done with the above cartridge restrictions.....all passed and ok

dont know it would have done with black powder?

I was shooting at the weekend with a crowd that included several black powder enthusiasts and the noise from the powder cartridges was noticeably louder than the nitro. I've no idea how many decibels louder, but you could certainly tell the difference.

I was shooting at the weekend with a crowd that included several black powder enthusiasts and the noise from the powder cartridges was noticeably louder than the nitro. I've no idea how many decibels louder, but you could certainly tell the difference.

A piont to remember when quoting dB is that, if I remember correctly, an increase of 3 dB is in effect twice as loud, thus a further 3dB is 4 times as loud.

So although another 10 on say 80 dB does not sound excessive it is in effect 32 times louder andmasy cause problems. :hmm::hmm:

D

A friend of mine has just recently had a sbs hammer I sold him

years ago reproofed for nitro, and it wasnt cheap as the gunsmith

who sent it in had to lap the barrels and tighten all the joints etc

before it went.Its now on 24gr 2inch cartridges but nobody ever

complained about it on the blackpowder loads apart from the odd

cloud of smoke but never the noise,you couldnt really tell the difference

when you had your ear protection on and all the other shots going off.