cocker pup

maxwell

Hi guy's

I have bought a cocker dog pup hopefully to train as a gundog and to be part of the family, i could use some advice please, is there any books in particular or dvd's that are worth looking at to help get me started, thank you Maxwell. :hmm:

Hi guy's

I have bought a cocker dog pup hopefully to train as a gundog and to be part of the family, i could use some advice please, is there any books in particular or dvd's that are worth looking at to help get me started, thank you Maxwell. :good:

Hi,

If its any consolation, I started with NTTF training aids plus other meterial I read and was supplied with (thanks again chaps) and My two cocker pups are coming along real good. Considering the time I am devoting to actual training, just everyday obedience training really.

Currently, they will wait at the kennel door and not dash out until told

Now when I put down their food they sit and wait until I say OK

I have let them off the lead and let them run around and they don't stray more about 30m from me. If they do I call out wait, they stop, look at me and wait for me to catch up. The here command is 98% successfull, but I can live with that for the mo. The are only just over 5 months.

The fetch is good they will bring the dummy to hand everytime

I need to work on the stay command because (and I have neglected this due to letting them off the lead) they won't let me get more than about 3m from them and then dash towards me.

All in all, I have to say I am quite pleased. In fact whilst we were out walking the other day, there were a bunch of pigeons in a field and they were statled by Jack, on take off he immediately sat, wow, I haven't even got that far yet, I was well chuffed, what a lad? Hopefully he will continue that.

A question for the more expert ones please.

My bitch is now approaching 6 months and I understand that at this age she may come on heat? recently she has started an unusual behaviour. The small bucket that contains her water, she puts her front paws in it splashing and dipping her face into it to! Jack doesn't do it. Is this behavior normal or could it be related to her hormones??? I know sounds like a stupid question, but she never did it before and I wondered why she should start now.

Lena is a much better hunter/retriever than jack, she will sniff out the dummy, Jack needs to see it fall.

Anyway, best of luck with the training and as I have been advised don't do too much too soon, enjoy your pups as well.

Pan

hi mate mate has a dvd out and is in the english cocker spainel gun dog team website is www.hawcroftgundogs.co.uk i have it and it is really good it takes you from start to finish i dont think you will find a better cocker spainel dvd hope this helps

I've tried several books but this site has been the best reference so far. You can ask questions and you get answers. And more often than not, the answers aren't the same from everyone which is no bad thing. My cocker bitch is 9 months and still hasn't come into heat. My mates springer pup is 13 months and she hasn't either.

Jef