Lighter loads for clays?

24g or 28g max?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Stay with 28g ?

• Leave it alone, 28g is perfect
    • Drop it to 24g max, they do the job fine
    • Dont care I use 32g home loads on everything

Many years ago the registered competition load was dropped from 32g to 28g. There were howls of protest, but actually scores did not drop, indeed there was evidence of over-all improvement.

The same happened with the loading drops in both ISSF to 24g and FITASC.

There are many advocates of the advantages of using 24g, and more lately postings on the effectivenes of 21g loads.

Bearing in mind how well these work, the question arises do we really need 28 of lead gong out there? Course setters can optimise for the reach of 24g carts, and so difficulty can be identical.

Less recoil, lower cost, less environmental damage, are some good arguments for lighter loads.

What do you think?

Edited by clayman

I'm in favour of going to 24 gram loads for everything, I remember when we dropped from 32g to 28g, we were all very worried, but I believe scores actually improved, and I don't believe there will be any drop off in scores if we went over to 24g.

This decision will have to be made a couple of years before it's implemented, in order to allow folks to use up all of their 28g loads.

I don't know why you mention 32gram home loads, as they're not permitted in CPSA competitions and therefore not relevant to this debate. :hmm:

Cat.

My homeloads are 24g anyway.

I do not see a disadvantage to using them, but where does it stop? After all 21gr is less recoil and enviromental damage than 24gr, but 18 is even less. Before we know it a 12bore will shoot less shot than a .410

I think 28gr is a good general puropose load for all shooting except perhaps wildfowling.

MC,

ANY home loads are not permitted, not just 32 gram jobbies, and that's the way it should be, let's all stick to factory loaded shells, not having to worry about whether the gun on the guy next you is about to blow up through using a tad too much Vectan..?? :good: :blink:

Cat.

Aaah Catamong, I do have a humour!! Recognise a bit of light hearted fun when you see it!

But aside from that, as you say the 28g / homeload restriction only applies to registered competition, but as this probably only represents less than 10% of cartridges fired at clays on most grounds there is nothing "illegal" about firing a 32g homeloaded no 5 at a clay other than local ground owners rules when its not a CPSA registered competion. As we all know, lots of 32g 6s get shot off at clay grounds all over the country, particularly at the end of the game season when they surface in the bottom of the cartridge bag.

I would hope however, that if 24g were implemented for registered, local ground rules would follow, and the general shooting public adhere to them. I'd also like to no 6s go, 7s up is enough. If the rules went to 24g no 7 max, the safety distance could come in to 250m ( as supported by the Shifnal tests), and this would help many grounds with marginal safety distances.

That poll line is just for the don't carers to register that they - don't care!

Cheers,

Jerry

Edited by clayman

I'd let people use what they want - if you prefer 28g, then so be it.

Personally, I use 24g mostly, and I haven't noticed any clays failing to break because of a lack of lead. Because of the muppet at the wooden end pointing the tubes 6ft behind the clay, yes, but because of a lack of lead, definitely no.

Robert

Personally, I use 24g mostly, and I haven't noticed any clays failing to break because of a lack of lead. Because of the muppet at the wooden end pointing the tubes 6ft behind the clay, yes, but because of a lack of lead, definitely no.

Robert

Don't you think it's rather silly to point the gun - sorry, clay target breaker, 6ft behind the clay? :good:

I recommend you have a course of 500 lessons with a fully certifiable instructor :blink:

Robert

Don't you think it's rather silly to point the gun - sorry, clay target breaker, 6ft behind the clay? :good:

I recommend you have a course of 500 lessons with a fully certifiable instructor :lol:

I do indeed Chard.

Your advice seems sound. Can you recommend an organisation that provides certifiable instructors?

By the way, I'm very disturbed by your post. Your use of the term "Clay Target Breaker" is deeply worrying. Not very PC is it? By using the word "target", it suggests that you are deliberately trying to shoot clays. The word "breaker" suggests that you want to do these clays actual harm.

Either way, you're clearly a violent psychopath that gives responsible shooters a bad name and should have your guns seized soonest :blink: .

Robert

We've just tried 24g steel carts with great success. We also had a regular last night with comp x 21 gram lead shells. He shot 25 DTL with them and felt they had there place somewhere on the shoot but I noticed he was back to either 24g or 28g the rest of the night.

Jef