308 -> 243

How easy/feasible is it to neck down 308 brass to 243. Can you use a standard 243 die, or do you need to do it in stages?

Got a lot of nice used once norma 308 cases but will be getting a 243 now by the looks of it, and I hate wasting anything.

• 1 month later...

Cubix .

Its not worth the hassel necking them down . I used to have a .270 and was given 3 carrier bags full of 3006 once fired brass that came from a rifle club . I necked them down to .270 ,which is a very easy matter of one push through the the resizing die of the .270 . A simple matter with these to calibres . The only thing that bothered me about doing this was that the resized 3006 cartridges that i necked down still bore the head stamp of the 3006 ,and i didnt have 3006 on my ticket . I dont know if some over zealous police man would have made somthing of it had it come to light . Harnser .

Cubix .

Its not worth the hassel necking them down . I used to have a .270 and was given 3 carrier bags full of 3006 once fired brass that came from a rifle club . I necked them down to .270 ,which is a very easy matter of one push through the the resizing die of the .270 . A simple matter with these to calibres . The only thing that bothered me about doing this was that the resized 3006 cartridges that i necked down still bore the head stamp of the 3006 ,and i didnt have 3006 on my ticket . I dont know if some over zealous police man would have made somthing of it had it come to light . Harnser .

Think back a bit Harnser, when 44 Auto mags came out, ammo was not available, all 44 AM had either a 308 or 30-06 headstamp.

As has been said, it is what it is.

The only thing that bothered me about doing this was that the resized 3006 cartridges that i necked down still bore the head stamp of the 3006 ,and i didnt have 3006 on my ticket . I dont know if some over zealous police man would have made somthing of it had it come to light . Harnser .

I sympathise with your wondering about it, but really, what are the chances that any policeman would be in the least bit interested in exactly what the ammo was once you'd waved your ticket at him? I think that unless shooters have done something really stupid or outright criminal, the cops don't start going through their cupboards with a fine toothed comb.

I remember once years ago when I was about 24 sitting outside my mates house at 4 am in the van with a shotgun in the back and waiting for the lazy b***ger to get up and bring his gear out. Cop car drew up alongside and asked me what I was doing there at such a time.

'Waiting for my mate to go shooting,' says I.

Cop asks if he can look in the back, I open the door and he looks in, eyes the cased gun and says, 'Got a license for that have you?'

'Yes, I do have one, but it's at home', says I.

'OK that's fine sir. Thanks and sorry to have bothered you.'

With only one exception, my dealings with the police have shown them to be pretty hands off with this kind of stuff. As long as when you open your mouth you don't sound like you just stepped out of the caravan, they are not bothered - up here at least. I do take care to remain within the law mind you, as I am sure we all do.

Edited by Evilv

The only thing that bothered me about doing this was that the resized 3006 cartridges that i necked down still bore the head stamp of the 3006 ,and i didnt have 3006 on my ticket . I dont know if some over zealous police man would have made somthing of it had it come to light . Harnser .

I sympathise with your wondering about it, but really, what are the chances that any policeman would be in the least bit interested in exactly what the ammo was once you'd waved your ticket at him? I think that unless shooters have done something really stupid or outright criminal, the cops don't start going through their cupboards with a fine toothed comb.

I remember once years ago when I was about 24 sitting outside my mates house at 4 am in the van with a shotgun in the back and waiting for the lazy b***ger to get up and bring his gear out. Cop car drew up alongside and asked me what I was doing there at such a time.

Cop asks if he can look in the back, I open the door and he looks in, eyes the cased gun and says, 'Got a license for that have you?'

With only one exception, my dealings with the police have shown them to be pretty hands off with this kind of stuff. As long as when you open your mouth you don't sound like you just stepped out of the caravan, they are not bothered - up here at least. I do take care to remain within the law mind you, as I am sure we all do.

Evilv ,

The reason that i mentioned about having 30-06 cartridges necked down to .270 ,was that like yourself i was stopped by two policemen at 4 00am as i was about to go into a wood to shoot deer ,and like yourself i was treated with respect after i had exlplained to them what i was about to do . I had my ticket with me and it saved me a lot of hassel . One of the cops said that if i had not had my ticket with me he would have had to impound my rifle and ammo . If he had picked up that the head stamp on the cartridges did not match the rifle calibre if he had impounded the rifle and ammo i would have had some more explaining to do . Harnser .

Evilv ,

The reason that i mentioned about having 30-06 cartridges necked down to .270 ,was that like yourself i was stopped by two policemen at 4 00am as i was about to go into a wood to shoot deer ,and like yourself i was treated with respect after i had exlplained to them what i was about to do . I had my ticket with me and it saved me a lot of hassel . One of the cops said that if i had not had my ticket with me he would have had to impound my rifle and ammo . If he had picked up that the head stamp on the cartridges did not match the rifle calibre if he had impounded the rifle and ammo i would have had some more explaining to do . Harnser .

Thanks for your explanation Harnser. Of course what you describe there just shows what I was saying - when the cops speak to a guy with a gun going about his lawful business, they don't strip him to his underpants and search his body cavities fro illegal ammunition. They check he looks OK, ask him a couple of questions to verify that he isn't a poacher or a ***** tow rag and they leave him be. I'd take severe exception to anything other than that. I'm not denying anything you have said, but the fact is that in law in this country a man is free to act lawfully and should be left alone unless the police have reasonable suspicion that he has committed an offence. If they mess with you on unreasonable grounds, they are in bother. Now I'm sure there is the odd officious and arrogant fool wearing a police uniform, but this is generally not the case. They have a polite word and check you are OK. I don't think that the law shows any requirement to even be in possession of your ticket while out shooting. If the cops had any suspicions about you, they could easily resolve them by phoning the occupier of the land who could no doubt vouch for you being there. I am also certain that they can radio into their HQ and have somebody check the police database about who has firearms. Presumably, we would have something that confirmed our ID on us. Having said all that, I do generally take my ticket with me.

Edited by Evilv