Spring feeder guards

Any ideas of where to buy or how to fabricate guards which protect spring feeders from deer etc.

Our feeders are being emptied pretty regularly and there are slots everywhere so the ******* are getting an easy feed!

What are you feeding for this time of the year?

It's for an area where there are a number of wild birds resident so we feed them through the spring / summer with wheat. Seems to hold them in the area quite well.

The numbers are then supplemented later in the year

Dont know about you city boys but alot of places are feeding at this time of year because this is the time of year when you release birds ...

Release birds? **** me you must lose a lot to the foxes, buzzards and crows. We aren't even getting our pheasants in for another three weeks and then they'll stay in the pen until they start flying out mid September.

If you're releasing birds now youre giving your keeper a hell of a lot of work to do before the season starts and your ratio is going to be low.

This is the time of the year when we start putting the birds in the pen, not letting them out. The ducks come two weeks today and even they will have an electric fence around the pond.

City boy or otherwise, we don't try to control foxes by choking them on barely feathered poults :angry:

Dont know about you city boys but alot of places are feeding at this time of year because this is the time of year when you release birds ...

Release birds? **** me you must lose a lot to the foxes, buzzards and crows. We aren't even getting our pheasants in for another three weeks and then they'll stay in the pen until they start flying out mid September.

If you're releasing birds now youre giving your keeper a hell of a lot of work to do before the season starts and your ratio is going to be low.

This is the time of the year when we start putting the birds in the pen, not letting them out. The ducks come two weeks today and even they will have an electric fence around the pond.

City boy or otherwise, we don't try to control foxes by choking them on barely feathered poults :angry:

Problem with releaseing birds in mid september is that its pretty hard to run a shoot day on september 1st when the birds are in pens isnt it. We actually want our partridge to be good flyers by the time we start shooting, thats why the shoot has a good name round this way.

And as for low ratio, the return we got last year was pretty good so thats not true either. Barely feathered poults, if i remember ill take a picture of some of our partridge in release pens and see if you can spot a bald patch...

Our first Pheasant day is second Saturday in October. We don't shoot birds without tails.

With Patridges, we always hold the birds in the pen for three weeks to locate them, fix them on each other and keep the cover crop maintained around the pen. We always keep a few in the pen until the morning of the first shoot because most of that flock will hang around in that cover, wanting to stay near their mates and you can be sure the birds are still on your shoot on the first day.

I don't know of many shoots that try to hold young partridges using grain feeders alone. Tell me how your strategy works?

Thats not what you started off saying though.

You wigged Quist for being a townie and then moved to goal posts to partridges when it turned out that he knew his keepering as good or better than you :angry:

On our shoot it aint so much what you shoot on the first day of the season, its how many are left on the last. Often the beaters days produce some exceptional birds but the first days are just slaughter of the innocents and you could knock em from the sky with a stick.

Keeping a few partridges calling in the pen till shoot day tends to ensure that the coveys break in a number of flushes during the drive since not all birds are as fit. Not being so fit tends to stop them flying so far so that they stay on the shoot after they've flown over the guns and call down the early release birds to join them.

There, thats my tanners worth :blink:

You wigged Quist for being a townie and then moved to goal posts to partridges when it turned out that he knew his keepering as good or better than you :angry:

Exactly! :o :D

On our shoot it aint so much what you shoot on the first day of the season, its how many are left on the last. Often the beaters days produce some exceptional birds but the first days are just slaughter of the innocents and you could knock em from the sky with a stick.

Keeping a few partridges calling in the pen till shoot day tends to ensure that the coveys break in a number of flushes during the drive since not all birds are as fit. Not being so fit tends to stop them flying so far so that they stay on the shoot after they've flown over the guns and call down the early release birds to join them.

There, thats my tanners worth :hmm:

:blink: :lol::lol:

Some commonsense at last, you must have been born in Essex.

Any ideas of where to buy or how to fabricate guards which protect spring feeders from deer etc.

Our feeders are being emptied pretty regularly and there are slots everywhere so the ******* are getting an easy feed!

I make guards up from weld mesh. Badgers are my problem. Cut some weld mesh and roll it into a tube about 3 inches longer and about 1 inch wider than the spring. Snip off the wire top and bottom to leave nasty spikes, leave 4 on the top of the guard, drill some small holes it the bottom of the feeder to line up with the spikes. Push them through and bend over. Been using these for years now and they really work.

Exactly! :o :D

There, thats my tanners worth :hmm:

:blink: :lol::lol:

Some commonsense at last, you must have been born in Essex.

No, but I've shot clays at Braintree a few times :hmm:

More to the point, I've shot Partridges on Peter Jones (Vinnie's dad) shoot at South Mimms a few times too and what that man doesn't know about Partridge Shooting you could write on a postage stamp.

I just hope I'm as active and on the ball when I get to his age. :yes:

im 16 and i work as an under keeper ish wen grandpa cant feed and we have no probs at all the arrived 2 weeks ago,

thomas