dog not "casting out"

I wonder if anybody could help me! Ive got a 11month old fox red lab dog, hes brilliant in most aspects of his training, sits, stays, retrives, stops to whistle, goes right and left at hand signals. But one thing im having trouble with is getting him to cast out, or to go on a "blind". If he sees me throwing the dummy or even placing the dummy at distance he will retrieve it no problem, BUT if i sit him up and command him to "get out" on a blind he just jumps around me without going any distance, any help / TIPS would be greatfully recieved. Thanks!!

well maybe the dog thinks you telling him/her to get out of a room for instance and he/she getting confused as when out in fields dog maybe thinking which room so just sits there not knowing what to do maybe try another command like i did with our tess(bless her soul lost last year to cancer)

like go find she took to that straight away

Have the two of you played baseball yet?

NTTF

Sounds like it...first and third basemen playing in for a bunt :blush:

Drills/repetition would be a good start in extending distance--recommend force to pile w/o force. The dog gets in the habit of being sent for an unseen object after seeing a lot of objects (dummies, dead birds) each time it arrives at the "pile." Which you will identify by having the dog sit at its point of casting departure and watch as you walk out (75-100 yards) and unload said dummies or birds in said pile.

MG

Also, you can help the dog anticipate being sent for a blind retrieve through the repetition of this drill.

"Get out!" is the command my spaniels get when casting off left or right. For a blind retrieve, the Labs *and* spaniels are given the same cue before they're sent--a cue which lets them know, convincingly, that they are going for something unseen.

When seated and looking out into the distance, they are alerted with the cue "Dead bird...dead bird." Then follows a second or two later, as they focus, the command "Back!" with some sharpness. This terminology gets put in play starting with the pile drill as above.

Soon enough (with the repetition) the dog understands that the cue "dead bird" means: ah, a blind retrieve is forthcoming, thus "Gotta go...and go long, mate." A lot longer, and, er, straighter than "Get out!" is likely to propel them.

MG

Edited by cracker

First couple of times go out with him to retrieve the dummy with him, tell him to get on and encourage him to hunt for it, put the dummy in the same place all the time then let him retreive it on his own, be hard on him if he doesnt get the dummy get it yourself and give him a smack underneath his chin not a smack that hurts him but one that annoys him. Remember the encouragement let him know that he gonna get a big praise when he gets the dummy. Try saying "get on" instead of "get out"

Have you only used dummies? my Labrador has just started to get rabbits and he finds them more interesting than dummies, I know this because when I chucked out the dummies instead of retrieving them he went up to my mates dogs and started playing about, my mate gave me a rabbit and totally different story sat by my side till I told him to get the rabbit and he did as he was told brought it back to me and sat by my side again.

Df

Try getting him to retreive a "SEEN" blind, take the dog with you when you place the dummy, and then walk away. Sit the dog between you and the dummy and then use your go back command.

At least then the dog will know what it is being sent back for.

Some good information given folks, however before sending the dog to pile drills, seen blinds, or switching to game, it would be best to see if this dog has a reliable back/get out command in place.

It sounds that he has left and right casts....1st and 3rd base.....but not second.....back/getout.

I think at this point we need dafydd1983 to give us a little more information before we can send him and the dog in the correct direction.

NTTF

I think at this point we need dafydd1983 to give us a little more information before we can send him and the dog in the correct direction.

NTTF

Nice pun NTTF :hmm:

I will give you my problem if its ok, becuase dafydd1983 is not.

See jazz will turn left or right no problem looking for a retreive, although so does not ''go back'' very well.

I am working on the base ball idea and putting treats on every base and over exagerating hand movements to them.

She is getting the idea but its not sinking in.(although this has improved her left and rights)

So,

How do you teach your dog the ''get back'' NTTF?

cheers

Lew

Lew,

To start and so that you do not confuse Jazz, start with just home plate, pitchers mound, and 2 nd base. Since we are just starting we are going to start small and work out aswell. Leave around 20 feet between each point.

Walk Jazz out to the pitchers mound and have her sit facing home plate. Walk a bumper out to 2nd base and place it on the ground. Jazz should watch you over the shoulder and know it is there. If Jazz gets up place him back at the mound and reinforce sit, then praise.

After you have the bumper on 2nd, walk to home plate and stand facing Jazz with your feet together.As your hand reaches up above your head in a straight arm Give the command Back and step forward with one foot. Ideally Jazz will spin around and run to 2nd picking up the bumper and returning to you.

Let me know how you do with this part so we can adjust it if needed, or go on.

NTTF

OK tried it today.. except using plates i used folded towels.

She sits on the middle base and stays, When i returned to her she waits till i raise my right arm and lean towards it she burls and retreives it. Although i can only do this with her a few times as she gets bord rather easy :rolleyes:

So will i keep doing it like this but move the bumper around all the bases And give the command go back when she is going for the farthest away one?

Cheers

Lewis,

Clarify a few things for me.

1) do you have the bumper on 2nd, Jazz on pitchers, and you on home?

2) are you sending Jazz to second while you stand on home with her on pitchers?

3) how many bumpers do you have?

I would like you to only work 2nd base at the moment until you have her going back to around 20 yards. Remember you have to work out to this distance slowly add about a yard or two a day.

If you want you can make the bases pitchers mound, and home plate with plastic driveway markers instead of using your wifes good towels....braver man than me, or she is just no where as scary as Trix.

NTTF

More in response to the original query, and as MC stated earlier - start with "seen" blinds. Assuming the dog knows the back command (if not - see the other advice about baseball!), it is probably the case that she doesn't trust she is going to find something when you send her. Always make sure there's something there when you do send her.

Using paths (eg. in woodland etc) is helpful as it channels the dog back in a straight line, so my approach would be to walk the dog to heel on a path, drop a dummy and let her see it but not retrieve it, then keep walking her on until you're happy with the distance, then sit her up and send her "back". After a few repeats of this, she'll soon figure out the game and will easily go back along a path without having to see the dummy be placed. It's then a natural progression on to longer distances and more open terrain.

Sorry everyone i was away for a week at a shooting course :hmm:

Ill try and clear things up a bit.

1) do you have the bumper on 2nd, Jazz on pitchers, and you on home?

Jazz was on home with her back to the bases.

2) are you sending Jazz to second while you stand on home with her on pitchers?

Yes

3) how many bumpers do you have?

3 covered in rabbit pelts :unsure:

She is fine with going back to around 10-20 yards as longs as she knows somethings there,

Also she is getting the hang on the 'go back' as get behind you and retreive something :hmm:

Any more advice on getting her to retreive without knowing somethings there will be greatly appreciated ???

Thanks

The idea of baseball is simple. Home plate is the batters box and you are the batter. Pitchers mound is the centre of the diamond and Jazz is the pitcher, responsible for covering all of the bases. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd bases are your left right and back directions . From home you can teach and handle your dog left right or back.

In Jazz's case we are mostly concerned with installing the back command to teach her that there will be something behind her to retrieve each time you send her. We are building her confidance in you. This does not mean that you can not send in left and rights occasionally as well to help reinforce them, or if you find you are having a problem with these hand casts work them aswell.

As Jazz progresses with his handling remove the base markers so that only the dummies are in those places and then start to lengthen them out. Remember to walk before you run, take your time. When he has the exercise down you will be able to cast back and have him turn and run a line out away from you. If at a point he will only go so far then we will have to add a lengthening out exercise aswell.

If you have any questions give a shout.

NTTF