how do you hide in the laid wheat?

bagup-sam

Ideally you will find a hedge, or tree or bit of cover to build a hide - near to the laid.

However realistically this is not always possible due to the nature of the laid crop often being in the middle of the feild in some arkward position.

In that case, get down in the feild (small seat, and face mask), in the tramlines prefeably to prevent more crop damage and be quick with the shot!!

Produces some very challangeing shooting. Good luck

Hedge is perfect but you need to get under the flight line/were the birds are feeding. If needed get some branches / cover & build a hide in the field. Trust me it works

you dont think they would be put off by a bush (hide) at the edge of a laid patch of wheat then in the middle of a field?

cheers

I've never actually decoyed over laid wheat but i've taken the opertune few when walking up a tramline. If i've seen then coming from a distance a simple hunch down into the tramline with full camo on and wait till the last minute to raise the gun seems to work.

DunK

this too works for me everytime get yourself a small stool,find the flightline and just wait,then at the last minute BAM the blighters.only dont go jumping about the crop for your pigeons as we there to protect it not ruin it .

i went out with friend of mine couple of years back and he was intent on finding all he had shot <_< pleased it was his permission as after not only did he lose a few pigeons but he lost his land too :good:

Hedge is perfect but you need to get under the flight line/were the birds are feeding. If needed get some branches / cover & build a hide in the field. Trust me it works

you dont think they would be put off by a bush (hide) at the edge of a laid patch of wheat then in the middle of a field?

cheers

Not at all. Ive shot many decent bags using this type of hide. On some farms with massive fields this can be the only option.

Build your hide as normal, change the colour of your net if you like,

few years back Sporting Gun did a feature on this kind of scenario and built a hide with the bright orange netting you find around roadworks and shot successfully all day,

the point being it doesn't matter too much on the hide it's whether the birds see you that's the issue,

as already has been said if they are hitting laid crop in the middle of a large field you have little option

Lots of stuff borrowed from fishermen works for pigeon shooting...I wonder how many fishermen borrow stuff from shooters??? :unsure:

mmmm may just try that next time i go salmon fishing leave my rod and take the shotty could be worth a try :hmm:

I have been shooting over wheat that last couple of days, on saturday we had roughy 18 shot but could only find 13 without causing adverse damage, so i explained this to the bloke who owns the farm (who is a friend i have known for years) and he said he doesnt care if we dont pick any of them up, as they will just get thrown out of the back of the combine???

Wont this damage any of the crop or not? i dont mind picking them up as we have been eating the few woodies we have shot so far.