686E not firing 2nd barrel

Ninj

Couple of month old 686E had about 800 cartridges through it and it's intermittently not firing the second barrel, irrespective of which is selected. Swapping over which fires first can cure it temporarily but happens again.

I'm certain that I'm releasing the trigger fully between shots and the action is definately not firing at all.

It's obviously under warranty but just interested in what it might be and how I go about getting it sorted - does it go back to GMK or are dealers authrosied to carry out warranty work.

Thanks in advance

rich

I had trouble like this, turned out not opening it enough to cock the 2nd barrel, if a fired case is ejected fine but if pulling out a unfired case you might not realise the gun is not open enough to re set the trigger mech's, try, it might be something as simple as that.

Do you mean is it ejecting an unfired cartridge? It fires the first shot be it top or bottom first, then there isnt even a click on the 2nd. Its not striking the cap at all.

The gun is still pretty tight but slackening in now, if it wasnt opening enough, would it not have been doing it worse to begin with?

Ill certainly try it as Id rather not have to send it away, but there again, if it aint right, it needs fixed.

Thanks

Rich

The other suggestions are worth trying , but also have you fitted it with a recoil pad, or are you using very low weight cartridges ?

The recoil switches the barrels over.

A test is to dry fire it, then tap the butt on the carpet and dry fire the second trigger, if this works them mechanically its OK.

If you have any concerns, take it back to the Shop ASAP.

There's a weight inside the action which is nudged by the recoil from the first shot, and sets up the trigger mechanism to fire the second barrel.

Sounds like your problem is just that the movement of the weight is a bit stiff.

The shop should be able to fix it easily.

i would guess its the inertia block. their is a tiny spring holding it in position, could have moved or snapped. pennys to fix and a good gunshop should do it in ten min.

inertia block is released as soon as you release the trigger after the first shot, irespective of which barrel fires first.

my money is on this. :good: :good: :good:

Cheers all. Without knowing the exact workings of the action I was imagining a recoil type assembly which cycled to prime the second barrel so that sounds most likely, Ive learnt a bit more anyway :good: . I rather hope it is just sticky and nothing has broken (but I expect it wouldnt ever cycle onto the 2nd barrel if the spring was broken?)

Im using 28g carts and it has the standard recoil pad.

Ill get it to my local guy and see what he reckons, bit loath to have anything done without involving GMK as it is so new, so Ill give them a bell in the morning.

Rgds

Rich

When you open the gun the mech's trip to cock the triggers.

It is possible to open the gun far enough to get an unfired shell out but not open enough to re set the workings.

Be wary of not closing the gun enough as well, if not shut properly the opening lever will not be pointing straight back down along the stock line.

It is possible to open the gun far enough to get an unfired shell out but not open enough to re set the workings.

Be wary of not closing the gun enough as well, if not shut properly the opening lever will not be pointing straight back down along the stock line.

Not sure exactly what you mean. It isnt ejecting the unfired shell, its just failing to switch the action across, and literally, nothing happens when the trigger is pulled a second time (apart from looking like a right t1t). With all respect, and Im being deliberately careful not to offend, Im pretty confident with closing and opening a gun and releasing the trigger between shots, the top lever is in line and the breech is fully closed. Its nothing Im doing, I treat it exactly the same as any shotgun Ive picked up and it isnt my first gun.

As an update, spoke to GMK today and cant sing their prsises enough. Off to my local Beretta dealer tomorrow to send on my behalf, GMK are confident they can get it back within a week. They echoed the same thoughts as this thread, the recoil block is dragging or tight and isnt switching across, they reckoned a broken spring would never switch over.

Thanks for all the ideas, Ive certainly learnt a lot.

Rich

Its definately fully open, and when shut, the top lever is in line.

As an update, spoke to GMK today and cant sing their praises enough. Off to my local Beretta dealer tomorrow to send it on my behalf, GMK are confident they can get it back within a week. They echoed the same thoughts as this thread, the recoil block is dragging or tight and isnt switching across, they reckoned a broken spring would never switch over.

Thanks for all the ideas and advice, Ive certainly learnt a lot. Ill post the outcome and specifics once I get it back.

Rich

Edited by Ninj