Which cal.?

wildfowler.250

Filling out my variation today and was planning to add a .223 for fox :good:

good choice in your opinion ? or .222 better ?

also, suggestions for how many rounds i should list for:

1) max ammounts of bullets i should buy at a time ( for both .223 and .22lr please :blush:)

2) max ammount of bullets i can store at a time (same as above)

Appreciate any replies :blink:

Get a .243 or 6.5x55 and cover yourself for deer too? I know you're north of the border and can use a .223 for that roe you're after, but why limit yourself?

For each .22 centrefire I had 'buy 200 rounds, keep 250 rounds'. Same for .243 now.

Edited by Baldrick

Thanks for the reply :blush:

will go for 200 bullets then. Didn't really plan a .243, (thought the FEO might think it would be too much gun for an 18 year old or something like that).

the farmer whose land I shoot likes to see the roe so I leave them alone. Purely for vermin atm.

Ask your FAO what the maximum is that you will be allowed to hold and go for that. Different areas have different ideas on the amounts.

I would go with the 223 as it's just for vermin, there is a greater selection of ammunition than 222, it's stocked by all gunsmiths, and it's going to be around for a long time.

In the USA, the 223 has largely replaced the 222 and the 222 magnum in popularity. The same is happening in this country, Bisley, as a example, list only one 222 load in the armoury, but four 223 loads.

yeah heard its pretty bad for barrel wearout?

also read,(might have been in "foxing with lamp and rifle" that it was a lot more noise than a .223 for not that much more gun :blink:

Bob300W I'm surprised its that much more popular than a .222!

Cheers for the replies :blush:

Think I'll stick with the .223 and mabyee go bigger once I've finished uni or something!

Now all I've got to do is get more ruddy passport pics!

Edited by CZ452

yeah heard its pretty bad for barrel wearout?

also read,(might have been in "foxing with lamp and rifle" that it was a lot more noise than a .223 for not that much more gun :blink:

Bob300W I'm surprised its that much more popular than a .222!

Cheers for the replies :blush:

Think I'll stick with the .223 and mabyee go bigger once I've finished uni or something!

Now all I've got to do is get more ruddy passport pics!

If you shoot enough Foxes to wear the barrel out then you have a serious problem.

Stick a Mod on and there is no diffrence, take it from someone who has been there buy a 22-250.

The 22-250 shoots virtually flat for Foxing purposes to 300 yards with a 1 inch high zero at 100 yards, the 223 does not and therein lies the difference. The 223 is fine out to 225 yards or so but when you are stretching it further the 22-250 has the edge.

Edited by JRDS

Ok seems to be quite a few people saying 22-250 now! :blink:

Either way it looks like the old .222 doesn't get a look in so im going to forget about that completly!

Hypothetically without going to the bigger .243 and 6.5 calibers, which one out of the .223 and .22-250 would be better for a roe. I dont have any stalking yet and know some people who have shot more roe with a .222 than i'd care to imagine :blush:

Just wanting to get an idea of which one has more takedown power really?, (porbably a better way to rephrase my question!).

http://www.hornady.com/

You need to place the bullet accurately irrespective of the Calibre you are using, so get close.

cheers! :good:

Found this page, writer says very little about 22-250 compaired with .223 for some reason?!

http://www.sportingshooter.co.uk/sports-an...ng/fox-calibres

Edited by CZ452

I wouldn't worry too much its not the best Mag and the 22-250 is very very effective believe me.

Just read a topic on a website.... www.rimfirecentral.com on ".243 best varmint round ever".

Nearly all said .22-250 was the best! :good:

If you are saying that the 22-250 is a better round than a 243, you are very wrong, in all departments! No comparison! And using the logic that a 22-250 is better than a 223, then a 25-06 is better than a 22-250 etc. etc. As JG said, dead is dead, and the 223 will do the job, cheaply, comparatively quietly and convincingly.

I wouldn't worry too much its not the best Mag and the 22-250 is very very effective believe me.

Just read a topic on a website.... www.rimfirecentral.com on ".243 best varmint round ever".

Nearly all said .22-250 was the best! :hmm:

If you are saying that the 22-250 is a better round than a 243, you are very wrong, in all departments! No comparison! And using the logic that a 22-250 is better than a 223, then a 25-06 is better than a 22-250 etc. etc. As JG said, dead is dead, and the 223 will do the job, cheaply, comparatively quietly and convincingly.

Ok, thanks for the input. just wanting to get everything clear in my head so im kinda stalling over the .223/.22-250 issue.

They said that the .243 was better, no doubts about that! it was just purely for vermin so they preferred a smaller caliber than the .243 :good:

could search around for the link if you wanted, (although its nothing too speacial).

Nearly all said .22-250 was the best! :hmm:

Ok, thanks for the input. just wanting to get everything clear in my head so im kinda stalling over the .223/.22-250 issue.

They said that the .243 was better, no doubts about that! it was just purely for vermin so they preferred a smaller caliber than the .243 :good:

could search around for the link if you wanted, (although its nothing too speacial).

No need, I regularly shoot both 223 and 243 for vermin, and I have owned 22-250 and 25-06 in the past. It's really a matter of getting a rifle, then getting confidence in it. Once you have that, the world's your lobster! :D Best of luck with your choice!

The 22-250 and 243 are very similar when shooting Varmint weight bullets.

ME 243 58 GRN VMax 1811

ME 22-250 55 GRN Vmax is 1654

both figures from Hornady Factory ammo.

223 Factory Ammo is @ the same price as 22-250 unless you buy surplus Military stuff will be solid.

I agree that the 223 will do the job and I have used two for Fox Control for a number of years but the 22-250 gives you leeway for errors in range estimation at longer ranges and at night that is a big plus in my book. Most Foxes at night are relatively short range but for the odd time you need to reach out it is easier to do so with a 22-250.

Ive used the 223 for some time now for fox and find it the perfect cal for the job and if you use light bullets it produces nearly the same vel as the 22-250, you can also load your own ammo very cheaply which makes it a round you can use for other vermin like rabbits which in turn helps with your accuracy skills. I'm not going to knock the 22-250 as i know it is also a good cal. talking of range i regularly take fox out to 250yds with my 223 but what i suggest you do is put a lamp on a fox at that range and have a look, its not a very large target at night and at 300+ it seems a mile away so what i am saying is don't try really long ranges at night, if it is land you regularly shoot you will get another chance in the future.

are you applying for a .22 centrefire,?? if so only say that on your application form, if you apply for a .223 for example , that is all you can purchase.

if you apply for a .22 c/f this will give you several options, e.i

.22 hornet

.220 swift

etc

once you have your variation you can please yourselve.

are you applying for a .22 centrefire,?? if so only say that on your application form, if you apply for a .223 for example , that is all you can purchase.

if you apply for a .22 c/f this will give you several options, e.i

.22 hornet

.220 swift

etc

once you have your variation you can please yourselve.

Thanks man :) didnt know that! I meant .22 lr and potentially a .223.

Why is the .22-250 not in that list of calibers? :devil: