Dried Herbs vs. Fresh Herbs

Axe

I think i`ve read enough recipes Axe,-I was a chef for 16 years! Your question is saying you want dried herbs instead of fresh. Well like i said-if the recipe in front of you is asking for fresh herbs-then fresh it should be-end of story!!!!

No it isn't, the question is;

So my question is this, if a receipe asks for a teaspoon of fresh herb what is the equivelant in dried herb?

Jesus, I can't believe that I am getting involved in this, beam me up me dustyfox...........

Quite right it SHOULD be fresh but Axe IS asking IF he was to substitute for dried WHAT would the equivalent be?

IE is a treaspoon of dried stronger or weaker in flavour than fresh.

I would have thought that a chef would 16 years experience would know that.

Even Jamie Oliver says to use dried if you can't get fresh

Axe, I am growing loads of the herbs that will survive in the UK thanks to Mungler giving me a Thai Chilli plant at Bisley in 2007. Although I can't get coriander to play the game..........so far :hmm:

Dried herb is a waste of time IMHO and only gives money to companies that prey on peoples laziness :yes:

I could tell you a tale about some genuine African herbs but that would be naughty :hmm:

LB

You can grow coriander on your window sill indoors, I bought a "growing plant " from sainsbury's as I needed some coriander, I stood the remaminder on the window cill and kept watering it and it flourished.

I then put it outside and it almost died overnight.

You can grow coriander on your window sill indoors, I bought a "growing plant " from sainsbury's as I needed some coriander, I stood the remaminder on the window cill and kept watering it and it flourished.

I've got 4 coriander plants grown from seeds outside and they are doing great, what that all about then? Fairly sunny position outside. They were in small pots while they established themselves now in a big window sill trough thingy along side a bought coriander plant and they are all doing great, 15cm plus, lots of leaves. They all seem to do better for havign a bigger tub to sit in. Basil is doing **** mind!

The Basil is starting to look like a hedge that the neighbours will have to go to court over but I will be **** if I can get the Corander to give it large :o

This really ****** me off as they almost give it away at the supermarkets :rolleyes:

OI! Cavie, will be getting my passport stamped soon for some nightime Eel fishing, I hope you ain't been lying to me :stupid:

LB

The Basil is starting to look like a hedge that the neighbours will have to go to court over but I will be **** if I can get the Corander to give it large :lol:

This really ****** me off as they almost give it away at the supermarkets :rolleyes:

OI! Cavie, will be getting my passport stamped soon for some nightime Eel fishing, I hope you ain't been lying to me :stupid:

LB

Not a problem just let me know when you are coming, That way I can be out :o