Weather...in N.Ireland

Ballymac

After a week or two of calm warm weather which wasn't ideal pigeon shooting weather, we now have had a few days of the wet stuff continuously falling down. Maybe it will dry up at the weekend, will allow me to get some work done. Here's hoping for some better decoying weather. Have bought a few bouncers/floaters and want to try them over standing barley. noticed the birds landing at the edge of the field and cutting the barley down.

Another farmer has built two permanent hides in his fields of wheat and wants crows etc shot. The is very little of the wheat or barley blown down this year,but with all this rain who knows. Here's to saturday and hopefully some successful shooting, as long as the birds show up :good:

Was out on saturday afternoon on a new farm, they had just harvested around 160 acres of barley and the fields were full of crows and pigeons. Asked the farmers wife and she said certainly and shoot plenty :good: .

Started around 3pm and finished 5.45pm before another downpour hit us. Had my new floaters in operation, 1 pigeon and 2 crows. Also had 2 air pro decoys spinning in hte wind.

Hundreds of pigeons flew past, we got 1 feral and 6 wood pigeons, 2 of which decoyed to the pattern the others were going to the tree we were under.

We also got 40 crows/rooks. At least they decoyed :yes:

On packing up decided to offer farmers wife some pigeon, she was delighted said she loved pigeon and loved cooking them. :yes:

Best of all due to knowledge gained here on this forum I showed her how to breast the bird. She was delighted and I can come and shoot the farm any time. I hope to be out there this afternoon if work goes to plan.

Got out at 3.15 today (set up at this time) only had 65 carts, thought it was plenty until I got there, how wrong was I.I fired my last shot at 4.45pm a total of 31 birds 6 pigeons in that. There were literally hundreds of crows rooks and pigeons, the farmers wife is sick of them. I should still be out there but have a wedding to go to tomorrow and things to do etc.

But providing the hangover is not too bad will be out on saturday afternoon (overnight stay etc) :good:

I sat in the hide for 10 mins after I had fired my last shot to watch what would happen and then I discovered something. The pigeons started decoying but only after the crows and rooks started landing in their pattern. At one time I had a small flock of about 15-20 pigeons all decoy, about 6 landed at the one time with the rest circling around again. They realised their plastic mates weren't that friendly and didn't stay long, but something for you decoyers out there who shoot crows and pigeons, have you found this to be the case?

To clarify, I had a pattern set for the pigeons and one for the crows set out for them to come to with a gap of 25-30yrds between them. The crows kept coming steady and while I shot some pigeons they weren't committed to the pattern, they were flying about due to gun shots. But when I ran out of carts and birds (crows/rooks) were allowed to land in their pattern I had lots of pigeons come in. This makes me think that had I let the other birds come in and land the pigeons would feel more secure about decoying.

Sorry if this is long winded and a ramble but it is something I will try again on saturday to see if it works. :yes:

didn't get out on saturday, slightly tired after long wedding celebrations, but two mates got out on Friday and shot 65 birds 35 of them pigeons. Saturday afternoon someone else was shooting in this field, I took a drive by and saw a guy sitting against the hedge no face mask and his face stood out so much :lol: This guy had no decoys or hide and probably didn't pick his birds up, will find out later today if I get a chance.

The mates had a pigeon magnet which must of made the difference between me shooting 6 pigeons on Thurs and them shooting 35 on Friday.

BTW the weather was good on saturday compared to other places until about 5.30. I had just about got the steaks cooked on the barbie when the rain came :blush:

Noticed that Dublin or parts of it flooded on saturday. Yeah like to do a bit of game shooting. Part of a club, we have pheasants and some partridge, not many and duck, snipe and woodcock. Like taking the dog through a bit of rough ground and see what comes up.

Yeah seen the forecast for weekend weather, not looking good, so took myself out yesterday with a mate, set up around 4.30 shot to 7 ish got total of 45 birds. Looks like that will be the only shooting for a while.

Farmers are getting it hard now to get crops in, have seen some fields of barley that are ripe but farmers cant harvest as too wet. We need a week of wall to wall sunshine.

Well guys any of you have any probs withthe floods. Had to go to airport on Sunday and was shocked at teh amount of roads that were closed including the airport road. After a diversion or two got there, but noticed a serious amount of fields flooded and the crops ruined. Rhe ducks will have a good few places to feed.

Was going to Ravenhill on Friday night and on the motorway between Lisburn and Belfast a flock of geese flew overhead they had been feeding in a barley field. Roll on 1st Sept.

Tweedledee, had the same to do with my lawn, got the daughter to cut the grass :blush: , less weight on the ride on :lol: but still left muddy tracks in the lawn :blink:

Talking to a farmer yesterday about shooting over one of his fields which always gets hit by the birds. Now this farmer hates crows in particular and is usually very keen for us to shoot this field, which we have done for a number of years. He was nearly in tears as the crop is sitting ruined in the field. The latest he ever cut this field was 08/08, he saisd he always had it done by then. The crop had been coming on nicely but the bad weather left him unable to get into the field.

I fear that all harvests are going to be affected badly this year again and food stuffs are going to rise and rise

:hmm:

Got out myself for the 1st in a while on Tuesday,

but it was disappointing to be honest, set up in a field near Warringstown about 3 ish and shot 5 crows and only one woodie they just where not decoying at all

than the rain came on at about 4.30 so decided to pack up went to drive the van out of the field gate and yes of course got bloody stuck "disaster all round"