bold or not

darren m

just curious -- which do you think is better in a dogs temprement , to be bold or a little timid .

reason i ask is that my labs temprement is very bold too much i think , thats why he's so bloody difficult to train.

But if you were choosing a pup/dog would you go for bold or not ?.

Darren...

Darren,

For me a dog that shows a strong eagerness to work, hunt and please their master is going to be a dog that’s a great dog, but sometimes a little difficult to control. Look at all the great dogs and racing animals for instance, Red Rum the horse was an awesome horse but sometimes a tricky horse to ride they say.

A bold dog will show no hesitation in going into cover very quickly to flush or retrieve with a good engine with staying power, dogs that get that little bit excited are running much more adrenalin through there bodies making them more proficient than other dogs.

I had the pleasure with working with some dog search teams using similar dogs to what we all use, and they pick the dogs that show a strong keenness to work with lots of energy, these guys train these dogs day in day out and the skill that these dogs and their handlers have in top class. Sometimes they don’t want to play but when they do they don’t miss a trick.

I’m convinced these types of dogs are the better even though at times they might test our patience. :lol:

Just my thoughts, others will differ I'm sure.

The PM,

Come on pigeons get yourselds on these rapes fields, gagging for a good session.

Bold but not too so to the point of disobedience. You can always curtail a bold dog with some stringent training but if it is timid then more often than not it will be for life. Unless that is it is timid due to a phsycolocical reason ( Ie it has been badly treated or abused ) in which case reassurance and patience are the key.

If the dog is particularly exuberant even after full training and you dont intent to breed from it consider castration it will benefit from this the same way that racehorses do when gelded it just keeps their mind on the job in hand which is that they have been bred for. It also has health benefits in later life.

Talk to your vet about the pros and cons before you decide what is best for your dog.

FM.

I think I red in sporting gun a while back that when picking a pup from a litter don't pick the bold one that is over nipping at you and getting excited, but pick the pup that is standing at the back being attentive and concentrating on everything that is going on around him.

Darren,

For me a dog that shows a strong eagerness to work, hunt and please their master is going to be a dog that’s a great dog, but sometimes a little difficult to control. Look at all the great dogs and racing animals for instance, Red Rum the horse was an awesome horse but sometimes a tricky horse to ride they say.

A bold dog will show no hesitation in going into cover very quickly to flush or retrieve with a good engine with staying power, dogs that get that little bit excited are running much more adrenalin through there bodies making them more proficient than other dogs.

I had the pleasure with working with some dog search teams using similar dogs to what we all use, and they pick the dogs that show a strong keenness to work with lots of energy, these guys train these dogs day in day out and the skill that these dogs and their handlers have in top class. Sometimes they don’t want to play but when they do they don’t miss a trick.

I’m convinced these types of dogs are the better even though at times they might test our patience. :(

Just my thoughts, others will differ I'm sure.

The PM,

Come on pigeons get yourselds on these rapes fields, gagging for a good session.

Ditto PM and FM's replies,

Also like it to be disobediant. why? because you can then rain it in and get that closer bond. Hard work but more more rewarding and in the long run will leave you with a workmate that is an extension of you.

LB :lol: Good luck.