Gutted

Had a call from StealthStalker this morning regarding our Syndicate.

Fox had dug under the wire into one of our smaller pens overnight and caused what can only be described as carnage...

After picking up all the dead birds, there were 80 dead out from 100...

Guess where myself and my friend the .223 Rem will be tonight ?

What gets to me is that, we have been doing the rounds all the time - and in probably the last 6 outings haven't even seen a pair of eyes.

One fox has killed more birds overnight, than we would shoot on 3 days in the season.

:o :yes::lol:

thats a real shame mate, i can imagine how your feeling. its any keepers worse nightmare. it was bad enough when the sparrow hawks and buzzards were having 25-30 poults a day once we had put them to wood at wrk exp but we had 4,000 in that pen alone so feels a tiny amount compared to your loss. get out there with the rifle and take revenge mate. best of luck :o

It's just such a waste..

SS has some pics and a video, I will try and get him to upload them here.

223 is already to go, just winding down the clock now - If I dont get him tonight, I will be out at dawn

Sorry to hear that you have suffered, if you cant stay out overnight maybe use the alarm clock setup with some of the dead poults as bait, at least you will have an idea when charlie came back?

Good luck I hope you get the bl**dy thing.

:o D2D

Short version = .223 1 - 0 Fox :o

Just got back from the shoot, put the gun away and cracked open a beer...

Yeahhhhh got the b*stard, Myself and Stealth Stalker moved a couple of highseats about this afternoon in preperation for this evening. So finally this evening arrived and after tossing a coin I took my position in one of the high seats that over looks the path to the Pen I mentioned in my first post.

I sat there from around 7 untill I couldnt see anymore, the forrest cover in there is fairly heavy, and you probably have around 20mins less light than in the open.

I was just thinking about lifting the bolt and making my way down the ladder... Infact I even sat back in the high seat and positioned the rifle so I could begin to safely cycle the bolt... when out the corner of my eye I spy movement. After watching Pheasants all evening, where every one looked like a fox - I had to glance back twice, when I realised this time it was Reynard making his way up the path to my left, to once again take the path to enter the pen where he had caused so much damage just the night before.

This time he wasnt so lucky, as he paused (probably to look at the bait we had staked out) I lined him up in the scope - Due to him being no more than 25yrds I had a very blurry picture of a fox in the optics. Anyway I knew the shot was safe and could make out the front end of said fox.

The crosshairs were placed on him, and after a squeeze a 50grn Remington Accutip-V was sent flying towards the blurr with a thud.

That was the last Pheasant supper that fox was going to get...

The 50grn accutip-v had made quite a mess, but I guess you can expect that at <30yrds :yes:

Anyway a small, probably this years litter Vixen, which would make sense as it was only a small entry hole in the pen. Interesting it also was missing a front Cainine - which looked by the state of the gums to be recent. There is a chance (I hope) that she lost this whilst trying to escape the pen last night, and therefor we got the Phesant killer...

StealthStalker will upload a photo shortly

Yours

Chuffed of Herts :lol: :o :o

Well after the last 6 months of preparing for the new season repairing pens, cutting rides, carting water/feed/straw, making shelters, checking traps, freezing nights in to the early hours lamping, as you could imagine I was absolutely gutted at the carnage before me yesterday morning :o

I was particularly saddened to pick up 11 ringed birds that I had successfully managed to rear myself :o

The fox had managed to jump the electric fence & dig under the wire to our small holding/laying pen, the netted roof gave the birds no chance :lol:

Ironicaly we were going to release the birds to wood that morning :o

As gary mentioned the highseats were set up to apprehend the culprit, unfortunatly I had a family BBQ & wouldn't be able to join him at dusk, so the Peltman took my place in the other highseat.

I had a call from gary at 8 saying there was a right old commotion up at the main pen, the next call 10 mins later confirmed he'd got the ******* :yes:

I'm pleased for Gary as he's been my lamping partner for the last year, in all weathers & he's helped me account for 19 foxes so far.

Pic of the culprit

DSC00230-1.jpg

SS

Well done chaps stay vigilant over the next few days :yes: , as said it may possibly be one of a local litter.

I shot a young fox last fri night and just a few minutes afterwards scanned the field and two more sets of eyes were watching me but they didnt hang around. I will have the rest of the litter in time.

Leave bait out on the approach paths, see if its touched and watch for fresh "latrines" imo the best indicator of charlies presence.

all the best

:good: D2D

Had a quick sit up again tonight... saw nothing

Although both baits have been well and truly chewed in the last 24 hours... :lol:

So you could be hit again?

Fit travel clocks to some bait and get an idea of when to be there ............waiting :lol:

If you were not so far away I would do it for you, dusk2dawn :good: just for the sport and satisfaction.

good luck and keep us posted.

:yes: D2D

nice pic ss, i am part of a sydicate myself, and have hatched over a 100 this year for the shoot, and its a shame when u loose a few young, let alone once u have spent £2 + on feed for the ******, and the hard work securing the pen when a little blighter gets under and ruins it! But well done on the foxes!

Stillsy

Cheers guys

I've had some success with a homemade trap round the pen, but the little vixen that was caught destroyed the trap trying to get out, you wouldn't believe the mess she made of it :good:

And I'm not keen on snares, after an unfortunate incident that I'm not going in to.

I'm gonna set up the trail cam back on the ride at the bait station.

I'm just so pee'd off with myself thinking that we were on top of the foxes this year :yes: My gamekeeper mate on the big shoot that borders our syndicate has had 30 plus foxes this year, along with our 20, I thought between us we'd eradicated the problem... How wrong!!

The old saying 'shoot one fox, & two come to the funeral' couldn't be truer :lol:

SS

nice pic ss, i am part of a sydicate myself, and have hatched over a 100 this year for the shoot, and its a shame when u loose a few young, let alone once u have spent £2 + on feed for the ******, and the hard work securing the pen when a little blighter gets under and ruins it! But well done on the foxes!

Stillsy

Stillsy

We decided to up the birds we normally have from 500 to 600 this year, with the ten members agreeing an extra £100 pounds on our fees.

It doesn't take a genius to work out how much this little ******* has cost us financially in a few hours :good:

SS

Very interesting read.

Two nights ago I spotted chewed wire going into our biggest pen, and the electric fence was down - tangled and earthed out. After 3 hours of messing about (back and fro to the yard for new industrial battery, shovels, tin snips, chicken wire etc) problem fixed, but not gone away if you know what I mean.

Cabelas digital trail cams are in their sale :good:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...=0057184418547a

$99