home loads and shooting them

well i went out yesterday to sunny northumberland (not is was chucking down with rain)

well i got my model 7 .243 and went for a wander anyway and also to try out some home loaded bullets

so that i did

found a nice spot under a fer tree to keep the rain off me i fired a fair few to try them out anyway as there wasnt much about

mind you i only got wet twice

anyway i got a picture of the shots i took the ones circuled in blue are the ones after i had set up the scope

range was a good 100 meters and im pretty pleased with them mind you i was standing when shooting so maybe better when using a bipod

the circule size is 3 inches and i guess that is within the killing zone of a fox

post-11030-1219748787.jpg

Edited by radio1ham

I don't mean to rain on your parade but that is not very good at all.

I would expect the worst grade of the cheapest ammo to be better than that.

3" groups at 100 yards is nothing to shout about and while you are correct in saying that it is the size of a killing zone of a fox and good enough for a stalkers test it is not good shooting at all.

I think you need to do a bit of research into what works in your rifle.

well i think it good considering i was standing and not using a bipod

im sorry but im not a target shooter as for the stalkers test im think im right in thinking you mean the defra test

well im sorry if this upsets you but ive got no intrest in taking a deer stalkers test as if i want to stalk deer i can do without having to pay an organisation (defra)just to say that i can shoot a deer

ive shot many deer years ago before i even got licensed so i guess i can still do that now

Edited by radio1ham

No need to get uptight matey boy,

All I was saying is that for a homeload that is not very good. What is the point of homeloading if you make accuracy worse? The reloading boys on here tell me how they improve eccuracy by homeloading, you seem tyo have done the opposite.

It doesn't upset me in the slightest, it doesn't affect me or my shooting at all. As long as you are happy that is the main thing. I just wait for the "My first runner" fox thread, where you have shot its jaw off so the poor thing suffers and starves to death.

Nobody is saying that you have to take a test to shoot a deer, but if 3" at 100 yards is the best you can muster then Morrison's do a good line in venison. I can get better groups with a .22 rimfire.

Trying out your homeloads whilst standing has proven absolutely nothing.

You have no idea if they are any good or, as Martin points out, cheapo factory loads would be better.

For proving and testing you need the steadiest replicated rest that you can...bipod and rear sand bag at the very least.

Only then, will you be able to say whether your homeloads are working in your rifle.

ok fair doo`s martin and browning i appolligise if i sound offish

i also can do a better grouping with my cz rimmy aswell at 100yards

but as they say practice makes perfect

but with regards to having a running fox ive never had that happen if i think i wont hit the fox i wont shoot at it

Edited by radio1ham

This guy has just got a rifle and is it seems having a bit of a play. I dont think that people should take such an opinionistic view. 3 inch at 100 standing is ok as far as I am concerned. I dont think he was out doing a bench rest load test and I agree testing loads in this way is pointless as it is not a secure enough position. It seems he was plinking and good luck to him. It is a shame people cant get their point across in a more constructive format instead of outright criticism which would serve to help and advise.

Steve b

This guy has just got a rifle and is it seems having a bit of a play. I dont think that people should take such an opinionistic view. 3 inch at 100 standing is ok as far as I am concerned. I dont think he was out doing a bench rest load test and I agree testing loads in this way is pointless as it is not a secure enough position. It seems he was plinking and good luck to him. It is a shame people cant get their point across in a more constructive format instead of outright criticism which would serve to help and advise.

Steve b

well thanks steve

at last some positive words

as martin says

no disrespect in him saying he can get better grouping using a .22 rimfire well im pretty sure he can as i guess most of us can

but remember .22 little or no recoil so very easy to get very good groupings using bipods or anything

as for .243 and any other full bore rifle lots of recoil even more so with my little remmington model 7 .243 as anyone who has owned the remminton model 7 will say how lively they are

but before i got licensed i was shooting deer with an old lee enfield .303 with open sights no scope and no bipod up to around 180-200 yards

so i guess im ok to shoot as i never had any complaints

but i guess everyone can boast about how good of a shot they are when using bipods etc i even seen a target shooter who had his rifle supported in a moving vice/rest type of thing all he had to do is sight in and pull trigger and that is not shooting either as far as im conserened

and bipods are not practical were i shoot as that would mean id have to be lying on the ground all the time as i cant drive around in a landy etc

so i still say for me getting shots in a 3 inch circule at 100 meters or so from a standing position is more than good enough for me

but before i got licensed i was shooting deer with an old lee enfield .303 with open sights no scope and no bipod up to around 180-200 yards

Please please please tell me these were not free standing shots and you were actually resting on a bag/coat/sticks/tree/wall/fence

or something when you used to do this?

as martin says

no disrespect in him saying he can get better grouping using a .22 rimfire well im pretty sure he can as i guess most of us can

but remember .22 little or no recoil so very easy to get very good groupings using bipods or anything

as for .243 and any other full bore rifle lots of recoil even more so with my little remmington model 7 .243 as anyone who has owned the remminton model 7 will say how lively they are(qoute)

what has the recoil got to do with your groupsize?

are you flinching when you pull the trigger on a larger calibre?

Edited by harv

Steve b

That's what I thought too.

Radioham1 clearly said he was standing up and taking pot shots at his card so I'd be inclined to say fair play to you, but you'll get a much better idea of your ammo's performance if you lie down and support the rifle front and back so you take your own foibles out of the equation.

Enjoy your rifle and try it prone Radioham1. Send us some more pictures when you shoot it in ideal conditions, supported front and back. Personally I am very reluctant to shoot off hand at a rabbit at more than about sixty yards or so. I find all the dry stone walls around my shooting a great help. I can sneak up behind the walls without getting on hands and knees, and I can rest on the tops of them and shoot out to quite long ranges with the HMR. Even then, I need to wedge my body to stop it swaying. Perhaps I should restrict myself to five pints of beer before practicing.

what has the recoil got to do with your groupsize?

are you flinching when you pull the trigger on a larger calibre?

I think you got it there. It is quite possible that an unaccustomed recoil and loud report could introduce a flinch to someone's style. More likely the group size is caused by offhand shooting. People at older ages are also less stable than they were in their prime. I'm 57 and I am sure I am less rock steady off hand than I was thirty years ago. I just do less off hand shooting or restrict the range of it. You adapt your style, as you do in windy conditions.

Edited by Evilv

well i went out yesterday to sunny northumberland (not is was chucking down with rain)

well i got my model 7 .243 and went for a wander anyway and also to try out some home loaded bullets

so that i did

found a nice spot under a fer tree to keep the rain off me i fired a fair few to try them out anyway as there wasnt much about

mind you i only got wet twice

anyway i got a picture of the shots i took the ones circuled in blue are the ones after i had set up the scope

range was a good 100 meters and im pretty pleased with them mind you i was standing when shooting so maybe better when using a bipod

the circule size is 3 inches and i guess that is within the killing zone of a fox

Not wanting to pile on the negativity but, are we to pressume that you set up the scope whilst standing and shooting?

I have to agree with certain points raised regarding testing your home loads, If all you wanted to know was "do these bullets go bang" then I guess you have your answer.

I would consider testing your home loaded ammo from a prone position with front and rear rests to establish if it is any better than factory ammo, otherwise why bother? I'm sure you could have shot the same groups free hand with the cheapest box of ammo on the shelf and saved yourself a lot of bother.

ATB

Moses

Please please please tell me these were not free standing shots and you were actually resting on a bag/coat/sticks/tree/wall/fence

hi yes when was using the enfield i was lying down

well hoping next time i go out with the model 7 the ground will be dry and il get set up properly and let you know how i get on

as when i was out on monday in the rain i guess not to many people like to lie down on the ground in puddles of mud and cow poo etc

now i bet you all wondering why i went out in the rain

well wasnt raining when i left the house only started to rain as i got on to where i shoot and there wasnt much on the tv to watch on b/h monday apart from the usuall ****

fair play to you radio1ham :good: at least you got out of the house and had a nice little walk about, much better than sitting behind a computer and slagging off other peoples efforts which they now little about ........... :yes:

have you done much home loading before? im thinking on getting a .243 as well and would defo look into the possibility of loading my own

cheers,

Tim

fair play to you radio1ham :good: at least you got out of the house and had a nice little walk about, much better than sitting behind a computer and slagging off other peoples efforts which they now little about ........... :yes:

have you done much home loading before? im thinking on getting a .243 as well and would defo look into the possibility of loading my own

cheers,

Tim

YYYAAAWWWNNN!

Those last two are really mature replies, aren't they. Schoolyard bully stuff that is.

I think Radioham1 uses cast lead bullets. He was talking about them a while back as I recall. I'm quite surprised that you can do that in a centrefire rifle, even loaded down. When he gets the right conditions to test them properly, I'll be interested in how small the groups will go. Anything that makes a rifle cheap enough to bang away with without wincing at the cost sounds good to me. As for not wanting to lie down in flooded fields, I quite understand that. I was sighting in a few weeks ago in a field with a lot of water on it. Ruined my day I can tell you. You might say I should have done it somewhere else, yeah, but I needed a place far away from the farm house (noise) and one which had a hundred yard flat stretch that was pointing into the wind with a decent bank behind it. Kind of limits your choices at times.

Keep us posted Radioham1. I want to know how these cartridges of yours work when you can test them right - prone, rested at the fore-end and at the butt, without wind.

By the way, you can print out targets you can get from here if you have a printer with that computer. I clip them onto an old school 'project ring binder' file with clothes pegs. The stiff card of the plastic covered file keeps the target print out still and if it is up against a dry stone wall, like many of my testing backstops are, it stops the target being ripped to smitherines by shrapnel from the sand stone wall. You can also hang them from a barbed wire fence if there is a bank behind the target. I just run a bootlace through the top clothes pegs and can arrange them how I like.

Target Links

Oh Please,

Schoolyard bully, Where do you get off?

This, in case you hadn't noticed is an internet forum. This is where people are enetitled to their opinions. I find the "People who hide behind a computer" comments boring and hence the yawn post.

If you don't like it don't read it, personally I can no longer be bothered with you complete bunch of ANAL ******* and I will not bother to post on here.

**** YOU ALL

hi yes when was using the enfield i was lying down

I used to have an old Mark 4 enfield back in the mid eighties. It was a good laugh and cheap to shoot as there was tons of old 1950s military surplus ammo. I don't know where it came from but at the time it was 5 p a shot when .22LR was 2p at the time. It was probably as cheap then as firing an HMR is now, which is very cheap for a full bore rifle. I liked the way that thing shot, and the recoil was light too. I mean, you knew it was a full bore rifle, but it didn't give you a head ache or encourage you to flinch. Even with the standard peep sight, you could get a respectable hundred yard group around 2 inches.

Oh Please,

Schoolyard bully, Where do you get off?

This, in case you hadn't noticed is an internet forum. This is where people are enetitled to their opinions. I find the "People who hide behind a computer" comments boring and hence the yawn post.

If you don't like it don't read it, personally I can no longer be bothered with you complete bunch of ANAL ******* and I will not bother to post on here.

**** YOU ALL

LOL - it may have escaped your notice that we are entitled to our opinions too. Don't feel you need to leave - it was merely a one line and quite polite observation.

EDIT:

I felt that some of the feedback to Radioham1's information about his new rounds was particularly negative and I wasn't the only one. Granted, his testing methods needed some refinement, but that can be suggested politely without scathing remarks and then yawns at someone who tried to point that out.

Anyway - it doesn't really matter. I'm sure no one will lose any sleep over it. We can all act impetuously at times and bark out some harsh put down.

Edited by Evilv

lol i notice we are all reading this tread at the same time now! :)

fair enough about the "People who hide behind a computer" comment, didnt really mean it to come out that bad.......

i just think there is no point jumping on each others back over naff all, when clearly radio1ham just wanted to show what he had been up to at the weekend