Proud

vimm

in my experience which is a good few years we let the dog have the best chance to bolt the fox, but at lambing time the vixens are hard to bolt so you sometimes have to dig.

But it's not always possible to dig, especially where I live because its on the coast and a lot of the holes are made up of rocks.

I've heard stories of terriers killing foxes in holes but I have never seen it, most of the time our team of terriers bolt the fox and we do the rest (most of the time :lol: )

cheers Ollie,

so..... you find a fox den, the terrier tries to get at the fox and it either bolts or you have to dig it?

then....when you dig down, do you bolt it or dispatch it in the bury? if you see it off in the bury do you just shoot it with the shotgun?

I'm not taking the **** honestly, I'm genuinely interested, I just don't know anyone who works terriers. :lol:

I know and have seen foxes killed in their holes by terriers. They dodge the fox's lunge and go for the neck from then they just push the fox back, almost folding it up into a little package, right at the back of the hole. They have tremendous power.

Well V.D. around the ground we shoot we have well known fox dens that are occupied pretty often and the dog will soon find out if there is anything in them.

Usually if we have to dig down we will lift the dog out and let the fox bolt, it is more sporting and it gives the guns around the hole a chance for a shot, but if it is at lambing time and a farmer is having lambs killed we will lift the dog out and dispatch it in the hole (incase the guns miss) with the shotgun and the lightest shell we have.

The fact that the fox is dead changes things, but I was not aware the fox was dead or it was being killed during the photo.

I'm into hunting and shooting and I was left unsure so the antis would see this picture as a picture of the fox being killed.

No offence taken I hope but just thinking of who else could be looking at these forums, death isnt pretty we all know that and keeping a little out of view from the antis is not going to do our sport any damage.

I will finish on that.

Happy Hunting

The PM