Hello from East Yorkshire (HOSM)

V8landy

Hi

I am new to all this, having just started to get hooked on clay shooting, but you can not eat clays!

I have not yet got my licence or a gun, but hope to via the like of this site / http://www.pest-rid.co.uk/index.htm as a valid reason for having a gun.

Would be great if anyone in the HOSM (Holme-upon-spalding moor) / Selby/ Driffield/ Market Weighton areas picks this up and can give me some guidance.

Thanks

Hi there, I am in Market Weighton. I looked into this a couple of years when it was set up, seems an expensive way to get ontosomeones land, and a bit of hassle having to make phonecalls etc the day before. It would be easier and cheaper just to ask the local farmers. To be quite hest if its just a SGC your after you dont need much of a reason, all you need to tell humberside police is that you want it for clay shooting, theres plenty of clubs near by. They're quite quick at getting itprocessed, mine took about 2 weeks.

Hi Thanks for the reply.

Yes I also think it is expensive. A mate of mine just said ask the Farmer. We are compltey out in the sticks on the selby side of HOSM, so completey sourounded by the farm land.

My garden in just under 1 acre with feilds on 3 sides.

My mate also told me that Humberside are very good for appoving the SGC.

Another of my hobbies is Beekeeping, for which I contact farmers to put my hives on their land for polentaion, for which they love it.

I am sure it is the same for them for free crop / seed protection?

Do you shoot on local land you have permision from?

In completing my SGC do I have to list which clay ground I would shoot at or just say I would shoot at a few of them?

I have not got a gun yet but am looking out for a gun cabinet.

You dont need to tell humberside police where yu intend to shoot. It seems to be easier to get a sgc than a passport! I normally shhot clays, but do the occasional bit of rough shooting. Would like to do som pigeon shooting but its hard fitting it around work and kids a the moment. If you need a good place to get a googgun I highly recomend Chris at W.Richards in Pocklington, they will sort you out with whatever you might be looking for at a good price.

You dont need to tell humberside police where yu intend to shoot. It seems to be easier to get a sgc than a passport! I

This is the thing I am quickly noticing. "every person of good character has the right to own a shotgun in the UK"

Well I think next week when we are in Market Weighton Tescos I will be getting my 4 passport photos done for my SGC.

I will look into http://www.wrichardsguns.co.uk/index.shtml

Hi

I am new to all this, having just started to get hooked on clay shooting, but you can not eat clays!

I have not yet got my licence or a gun, but hope to via the like of this site / http://www.pest-rid.co.uk/index.htm as a valid reason for having a gun.

Would be great if anyone in the HOSM (Holme-upon-spalding moor) / Selby/ Driffield/ Market Weighton areas picks this up and can give me some guidance.

Thanks

It doesn't look to me that you will need to pay money to that site to help your case.

You know a lot of farmers already and you are in a clay pigeon club. You already have a good reason to have a shotgun. I'd say you should get yourself a proper gun cabinet and install it correctly (you can find links to firearms security pdfs - probably on the Met Police site - they like it done right so you can't jack it off the wall and so on). While the cabinet is getting sorted, ring up some of your farmer mates and get an invite to shoot pests, and make your application.

If you have some spare cash, you could think of getting into rifle shooting too. I haven't used my shotgun much at all since I got rifles.

You are ideally placed to take up shooting, and if you aren't an ex-bank robber you will have no problem at all. Though there was a sad story yesterday on here of a guy who had some temporary anxiety/depression problem a couple of years back and had his sgc refused.

Edited by Evilv