decoying pigeons

shawn9914

hi to all again

as recently discused in another question i mentioned i have some large woodlands with loads of pigeons in them surrounded by oil seed rape (perfect i thought) BUT the crafty pigeons are not on the rape they are stuck in the trees.

i have been told by a number of you that they are not on the rape yet unless we get a cold snap (cross my fingers for frost tonight then)

now then do i set a decoy pattern in the rape field or do i sit on the edge of the woodland and shoot the bleeders when they come in to land amoungst the trees i estimate they are on flocks of around 70-100 birds

i am going to sit it out all day monday as a bad days shooting has got to be better than a good day at work but i need your help so come on lads lets hear it !!!!!

You need to be where the birds are (they are pigeons by the way, not "bleeders").

If they are feeding in the woodland on beechmast, berries etc., then it could be profitable to set up there and even put up a few lofted decoys.

But I don't think you will get much concentrated action, until they start feeding on the rape.

If the field is alongside the woodland, you will find that the pigeons will prefer it to fields well out in the open.

The best spots tend to be sheltered, with the wind coming from the woodland.

The birds will feed close to the trees on the roughest of days and we will start to get the wet and windy weather after Christmas, thats when the shooting will improve.

Time you spend in the area now will not be wasted.

You will hopefully spot some flight lines, sitty trees, etc., which will help you later.

• 4 weeks later...