Larsen Trap

OK....so last week I went out and purchased a larsen trap which I have assembled in the field behind my house.... I have it set up with bread and dog nuts in it and I have a plastic magpie in the locked cage. Last Sat I also had an electronic magpie sounder going off.

At one stage a magpie did land next to it....however there were other concenient perches other than the false perch and it used that.

I the placed it on top of a round bale to ensure that the false perch was the the most convenient perch but no luck

Anu suggestions.....??

Was thinking that with the corn just cut there is lots of other food around and thats why they just not borthered

It's a bit late in the year to start trapping, the most effective time is from April through till July.

Try making a "nest" in the catch compartment, put a couple of nice white eggs in there, plus a freshly broken egg on top of the trap.

Also scatter a few egggshells around the trap, you want to make it look as if there's been a bit of a bust up taken place.

Cat.

There was one in our "walk in" crow trap today. I'd put a tenner on it's mate being in there tomorrow. The only bait was a dead poult from our release pen, no call bird. However, there is sufficient water and shade/perches etc left in there all the time just incase.

James

With my larsen it took me about 3 weeks to get my first magpie, that was in March. Once i had one it was easy, i also gave away about 4 to others to use as call birds. I stopped trapping in June my total upto then was 37 magpies 2 crows & 3 Jackdaws.

I will be starting again soon and hopefully i can get a call bird from one of the others. If not i will use eggs in a nest shape of dried grass for a while, then a rabbit then dog food. I will try each one for about 7 - 10 days before changing over.