clay pigeon at GCSE level

jimdfish

The syllabus covers safety, rules and regulations, performance, fitness — and what makes a good coach.

The move may surprise and upset parents campaigning against gun crime among youth gangs.

:good:

Apparently, an attempt by Valerie Elliott to persuade EdExcel to introduce a new GCSE for lazy journalistic scaremongering has been unsuccessful.

A spokesman for EdExcel said "She didn't even turn up. We got a message from her to say that chisel-wielding chavs (fresh out of their GCSE woodwork class) would be marauding around the countryside and she was surprised and upset that they were allowed access to such weapons in the classroom. She and Liz Jones would be staying inside until further notice." :good:

On a more serious note, well done Sally, and good luck for 2012.

:good:

LS

I think nowadays alot of things are evidence based. The fact that the cleaners in my work are now called domestic 'Engineers' is a joke. Anything you can provide evidence for now will give you qualifications. you can even do a degree in Surfing!

Alot of the cleaners have NVQ's in cleaning

But I think this will do big favours to the shooting community and raise the awareness to the younger population, I m sure given the chance at school we would have all chosen clay pigeon shooting as a GCSE if we had the oppurtunity. Maybe its a good way to get the kids outdoors and not skip school. would have been my favourite lesson.

May provide some new shooters for 2012 too

I watched an interview with the girl on the local news. She's doing this as part of her P.E GCSE. She says that while everyone else is doing football. rugby, netball etc. she wanted to do something which she was good at and could ultimately take her to the 2012 Olympics. Fair do's to her, as i doubt there'll be many others from Clacton representing their country in London.

Good luck to her.

See :oops: us girls have our uses!..........I think it's good she's done something to raise the Clay Shooting profile!

I hope she joins the sport, as it's been brilliant for me as a girly learning, and having people to help, who don't seem to think it's a male-only sport and that you won't break if you pick up a gun! :yes:

:mad:

I'm with the fair Maiden22 on this one I'm afraid. Hats off to the girl for her perseverance in getting her way over it, and I agree it'll be good for shooting - raising the profile and all that.

However, I fail to see what it's got to do with mainstream education. It's just more dumbing down nonsense. I would be all for shooting to be included in the sports curriculum in schools, but GCSE? Give me a break. :yes:

It's all this vocational stuff that the government want to introduce. Basically, if you are good at something, then do a qualification in it.

AIf this is part of a PE GCSE, then it makes a lot of sense to include it. She'll learn exactly the same sorts of things as people would for rugby or something else, but in something she likes. If I'd had that choice I would have swapped my Latin GCSE for it...

Well if i had the choice between going out to a shoot ground or staying in computing doing word processing for 2 periods i know what i would pick.

also it would be good to acually do something in school that i would use when i leave it :yes:

Edited by lewismac1

Darn it! :yes:

Why couldn't we have had this at school in my day. However how many county compresehsives actually are going to take this up? probably Nil.

The education system is a bit of an a$$ as I used to teach scuba diving at a certain hampshire special school. If you are a model pupil you get to go to a boring place and do rubbish sports. If you are a right little toerag you get to come here and do all the sports that actually require "Discpline" like SCUBA, Motorcycling, Shooting and Fishing etc.

Good effort on the girl though.

regards

Tufty