Car sick Spaniel

nipper

I have a 15 month spaniel bitch that just hates the car !! She drools bucket loads and gets all wound up.eventualy she is sick and generaly gets in a hell of a state ????

I try her every day ,to see if it will pass but there is no sign of that yet :good:

Even with other dogs in the car she doesnt settle down .

Any Ideas on how she can get over it ? I will try just about anything !

Its either that or put up with a dog that looks like it has RABIES!!lol

My lab was just the same as a pup added with the need to empty her bowels as soon as the engine started. Tried training crate in boot and just about everything or so we thought.This went on for 18 months. My car at that time was a renault laguna mark 1. We were keeping a valeter in business the amount of times he washed sick out of the seats as she always managed to miss the covers .Now you may think this is daft but we changed cars to a new laguna estate and with some encouragement she was for some reason not as affraid to get in this one. The only thing we put it down to was the fact that she could see much more out of the windows as she was higher up. In time she was completely cured . Now when ever i leave the door open to my Landy or the laguna she jumps straight in of her own free will. Hope this helps and dont give up.

Ps if you want to buy the laguna its up for sale soon ???:good:

I would start by getting her into the back of your L200 with you, dont drive anywhere just play with her. Start off with her in the back for 30 secs, get her out have a play and leave it at that. Do this every day increasing the time you are both in there.

When she is completely comfortable with that do exactly the same but with the engine running.

When she is comfortable with that get in the back with her and get someone to drive you both about, short distances to start with increasing over time.

Make it fun for her and hopefully you'll have cracked it.

My youngest springer was sick everytime we went more than a mile or so in the car. One of the things we did to make it less frightening for him was to leave the back door open and encourage all the dogs to spend time sitting in the back during the day if we were at home.

We also started feeding him in the car and making a big fuss of him when he jumped in. Anything to make the back of the car a fun place to be, it took a while & i'm not sure if any of our tactics actually sorted the problem or if he just grew out of it but it's worth a go!

Luckily my car is an old Pajero & is used for transporting dogs/feed/deer carcases etc etc so a bit of dog puke doesn't really make lots of difference to the driving experience!

Hope you get the hound sorted.

A mate of mine has tried everything with his young Springer bitch and has come to the conclusion she'll hopefully grow out of it. Can she see straight out ok?, ie: try elevating the area she sits on it maybe she suffers from motion sickness that will stop if she can see out.

I had a Rottweiler which was badly car sick and the way i got him over it was:

Every day,i would take him for a short drive-literally 5 minutes max then home,but i'd leave him in the back while making a fuss of him so he knew there wasnt anything to fear.After couple of weeks,i'd gradually lengthen the journey by a few minutes to nearby woods where he liked to go so he would associate the car with a a nice place.

Gradually extending the journeys further over the comming weeks,but always talking to him saying things like "whassat!" "who's that!" which keeps his attention on me and things outside rather than being ill.I would always take a bottle of water/bowl and the moment i saw the telltale drooling-i'd stop the car,get him out,offer a drink and let him compose himself-before carrying on with journey.

It did take me almost a year to get him fully over it,but then he could travel for hours in car with no accidents.Theres no overnight quick remedy and does need patience & understanding.